Chapter 13

Harry sat on a hard backed chair in a corridor of St Mungo's, head resting in his blood stained hands, wondering how a day that was going so well could turn bad so quickly.

One minute he was standing with his bride by his side with all their friends and family applauding happily, then glass and blood was everywhere.

Harry could feel Hermione's distress as she sat with her mother and grandmother beside the unmoving body of Dan Granger. He had just left them to try and clear his head and make some sense of today's events.

-oOoOo-

When the window exploded the wedding party had their backs to it and almost no time to react. Harry had pulled Hermione closer while Dobby had started moving to try and help them. The wedding rings of Godric and Rowena carried ancient charms to give the married couple unparalleled protection, but Harry doubted even that would be enough to shield them from the razor sharp shrapnel filling the air.

What saved them could possibly qualify as divine intervention, the Reverend Stewart's rather large body was between them and the window which resulted in his unintentional absorption of projectiles heading in their direction, leaving the trio with barely a scratch while the poor church minister died almost instantly. The rest of the main wedding party were not so lucky.

On one side Winky had moved to try and protect Ginny but a rather large shard impacted into her back, impaling the elf as it continued through her body and into the youngest Potter, pinning them both together as they slowly slumped to the ground.

On the other side Neville Longbottom stood wearing no protective charms and with nothing or no one to block the progress of the glass, he was cut to ribbons.

The elves saved many lives that day and Neville was one of them, though he was not expected to make it through the night.

There were many elves inside the church, using their unique magic to remain unseen as they watched the ceremony. They were delighted to see their Lord and Lady but it was the sight of Dobby and Winky standing proudly beside them that the vast majority of the elves had come to see, never before had elves been held in such high esteem by wizards and even goblins.

Dobby was greatly admired by the elves but Winky was loved.

She had worked tirelessly helping the new elves adjust; treating their injuries and they all adored the new tunics. Add to that the worst abuser of house elves was currently scrubbing floors and washing dishes while Winky stood proudly at the Lady Gryffindor's side.

The elves knew it was the Potters who were trying to help their plight and they loved the couple for it, but they didn't know Harry and Hermione, it was Winky who helped everyone with a smile on her face and the elves adored her.

When the window exploded elves immediately started to shield the congregation however, in the race of flying glass against expanding shields the glass almost reached the third row before being stopped.

Regrettably for Harry and Hermione, custom dictated that their family and friends sat at the front.

Not satisfied with saving most of the congregation the elves proceeded to pop the badly injured to St Mungo's, evacuating everyone within two minutes, but what a hellish two minutes.

Directly after the explosion, Harry checked Hermione was unharmed then began to help the injured. He saw Neville taken away first, closely followed by the joined Winky and Ginny. Harry felt a massive jolt of despair across the bond and turned to see Hermione trying to help her mother and grandmother out from under her father, who'd obviously used his body to protect both women.