39

Caroline ignored the photographers and reporters around her as she stepped inside the paddock. She stopped for a few fans to take selfies and give autographs before making her way to the Red Bull hospitality. 

She slightly jumped as she felt someone tapping her shoulder, and looked around. 

"What the hell Max!" She playfully pushed her teammate away, making him laugh.

"What is the matter? You are very jumpy today?" Max asked as they started walking together. 

"Mom is here somewhere," Caroline nervously explained. "Somehow she got paddock passes and is now lurking here with her husband."

"I thought she is only going to be here for the race tomorrow," Max looked confused. "I didn't know she would be here for the sprint race too."

"Neither did I," Caroline huffed. 

Lewis watched from just a few meters as Caroline and Max talked and laughed, making him once again feel jealous and guilty. 

"Caroline? Honey?" The familiar voice called out her name. 

Caroline's eyes slightly widened as Max felt her freeze for a second before she turned around. 

"Hi mom," She nervously smiled. 

Max immediately turned around too to find a familiar woman he has only seen in photos excitedly come over and hug Caroline. 

"Oh I missed you so much," Daina tightly hugged her daughter. "But what happened to your hair?" She touched Caroline's perfectly combed hair for a brief second. "Why don't you style it a bit, you will look lovely."

"I missed you too mom," Caroline sarcastically replied before sharing a look with Max. 

"And who are you?" Diana looked at Max as she let go of Caroline. 

"This is Max, my teammate," Caroline introduced him. "And Max, meet my mom.."

"You can call me Diana," The older woman smiled. 

"It's nice to finally meet you," Max said politely. "I have heard a lot of things about you from Care."

"Care?" Diana raised her eyebrows as she looked at both the drivers. "Even I don't call her that," She chuckled. 

Max awkwardly looked at Caroline. 

"We have to go now mom," Caroline said, trying to escape. 

"Oh before you do…" Diana turned and loudly called over her husband and stepdaughter to join, making people close by look at them. "Caroline, you remember Stephen, and this is Sandra, his daughter and well now she is my daughter too."

"Oh how lucky she is," Max sarcastically mumbled under his breath but it did manage to fall in Diana's ears, making her glare at him. 

"Nice to see you again Stephen," Caroline politely smiled and her stepfather returned the same politeness. 

"It's so good to finally meet you," Sandra hugged Caroline, catching her by surprise, but her smile faded as soon as her eyes landed on Max. 

"Hello," He politely greeted her. 

"Yeah no, I am not a fan of you," Sandra rolled her eyes and looked back at Caroline. 

"I see why my mom likes you," Caroline glared at her. 

"It's okay, I don't really care about your opinion," Max shrugged as he threw his arm around Caroline's shoulder. 

Sandra was taken aback as she was not expecting the response. 

"How dare you talk to my daughter like that?" Diana snapped. 

"Didn't I warn you against coming here?" Stephen joined in. 

"We are leaving now," Caroline cut in. "You three can do whatever you want. Come on Max."

Max smirked at Diana before walking away with Caroline. 

"I am a Mercedes fan anyway, no one cares about you two," Sandra yelled before Diana advised her to keep quiet as people were staring. 

"I am so sorry," Caroline apologized to Max. 

"No, I am sorry," Max gave her a faint smile. "You deserve a much better family than them Care."

***

"Hamilton is right behind you Caroline, don't let him pass," The race engineer informed her. 

"Copy."

She was happy with the care pace and Lewis was doing everything to catch up while Max led the sprint race. 

The crowd was disappointed as they wanted Lewis to win and they were very vocal about it as Max crossed the checkered flag, followed by Caroline and then Lewis. 

"This feels good," Max laughed as he hugged Caroline as the crowd voiced their disappointment. 

"He doesn't look happy," Caroline looked at Lewis. Even with his helmet on, Caroline can tell he was disappointed with his result. 

"Good, he hurt you and deserves to lose every race," Max said as they made their way to their team. "And we will make sure of it."

**********

A/N: Thoughts on Caroline's family?

Thoughts on Max and Care?

Next chapter will be the race day👀