He Was

(Y/n)'s POV

We are out of the shipyard in less than thirty minutes, and I hurry to the controls. I don't know much about this thing but Vince and Jorge watch over me as I set things in motion. "What made you decide to help us?" I ask Vince once Jorge leaves us to settle in further back in the aircraft "you're my daughter (Y/n), I thought I lost you, and I can't risk that again. Where you go I go," he tells me and I let my eyes flicker over to meet his for a moment. 

"Thank you," I tell him and I contemplate calling him dad for a minute but decide I'm not quite there yet, but I was getting there. "I should tell you something though," I say trying not to laugh at the humor of what I was about to say. In another life, it would have been where he could get protective, but it's the least of his worries now. "We found Gally, alive," I said and Vince is quiet for a minute. I know he wants to ask if I'm sure after the incident with the 'ghost', "ask Jorge if you want, but I'm telling you he was real," I say thinking back to seeing Gally.

"Good," Vince says "I'm not sure how to feel about that though, to be honest," Vince adds and I laugh lightly "so many things are complicated, I don't blame you. But I think it's too late for the whole don't touch my daughter thing," I say making him laugh. He nods "yeah, I'm aware," he says his eyes going to the baby bump.  "Is everything good with the baby?" Vince asks slight worry becoming evident and I nod "nothing unusual has happened, so I'm assuming they're fine. They kicked a lot when we found Gally," I tell him.

He nods "probably because your body had a response to seeing him," he tells me and although I know that's the most logical reason I like to think it's because the baby knew. "I remember when your mom was pregnant with Chuck,"  Vince said and I stiffened at the mention of both Chuck and mom "you wouldn't take your hands off her stomach," he told me. "You wanted to feel every kick. You wanted to be a big sister so bad, and although I wasn't there... I'm sure you turned out to be a great big sister," he said sadness evident in his voice.

"Chuck was kind and hilarious. He loved Thomas, and he loved teasing me and stealing sweets from Frypan's kitchen. He pulled pranks throughout the glade and had flashes of memories. He wanted to find you and mom... He was beautiful," I told Vince who never truly got to know his son and my brother. "I wish I could have protected you both," Vince says as a single tear track down his face and I try to pretend that I don't see it as I continue flying. I didn't answer his statement because it was too complicated to think about.

Who would I be if I had never been with WICKED, would I be happier? I wondered but I knew it really didn't matter, because I was in the maze, and I fell in love and lost so many people. I only wish that maybe Chuck was spared, but that wasn't something I could change. Before I could spiral deeper into my thoughts we arrived outside the walls. "We're here," I tell them as I begin to bring down the aircraft, but as I do I know something was wrong. 

Where is everyone?