Pity

Your POV
"So Ed, you gonna be alright hanging with the couple for the night?" I laughed. He shrugged with a sort of half hearted looking grin. I get that, I'm pretty tired too. "There's a bonfire pit, you guys wanna go down there?" Viney asked, leaning on Emira smiling. Hunter looked at me curiously. "You wanna?" I asked, wondering why he looked so confused, maybe he was feeling tired.

"Wow, it's like we're celebrating something." He said, with a sort of child-like excitement. I felt my heart drop with how excited he was over simple things. I guess everyone else felt it too because no one said anything, we all looked at him.

Hunter POV
"...did I say something wrong?" My heart stung for a moment as it had when Y/N and I had our first fight in the water. "No- no! It's nothing like that." Y/N said quickly. "It's just- just.. well, we all grew up doing this stuff and.. it's sort of- sort of.. well, sad, how excited this makes you." "You think I'm sad?" My breath hitched, they thought I was pathetic.

"Hunter, no- no, not at all! That's not.. not what I meant, I just meant.. we, well.. I, feel kind of bad for you, I feel bad that you didn't get to do fun stuff like this more. But, I am glad that I can be there to do it with you now." Y/N didn't look at my eyes, they looked at their feet, my feet, the grass between us, Edric who stood next to me, their own hands, but never my eyes.

Your POV
"So.. are you guys coming to the born fire?" Viney almost whispered. "Yeah." Hunter and I said in sync, both looking to opposite sides. I saw out of the corner of my eye, he would glance at me but.. almost as if he was scared, he'd turn away quickly. "Why don't we meet you down there?" I choked out.

Emira POV
I looked between the two of them, watery eyes and avoiding eye contact. Both of them looked so hurt, I knew they'd work it out. They had to. If they didn't, I don't think either of them would get over it easily. For a second I looked at them both and I remembered the way Y/N smiled at the castle, on stage with him and how happy he looked to be standing there with them.

The way I'd grown to actually enjoy having him around, in such a short span of time. I swear, they both have permanent smiles when they're together. I thought of how happy Y/N had been and I hoped, that they'd work it out.

Your POV
I didn't want to be that, I didn't want to be the person Hunter is scared of. "Hunter." I said quietly. He turned to me slowly, his eyes saddened. "Hunter, I really am sorry. I don't think you're sad. At all." His head twitched forward slightly. Suddenly it hit me, he was choking back.. tears.