Chapter 49 - It was ruined from the beginning...

"It was crazy! I never thought anyone can ever think of such a crazy strategy, let alone execute it flawlessly!"

Crunch!

I munched on the crunchy caramel cookie and listened to Selene's battlefield stories while imagining the cinematic visuals in my head.

We were idly talking about all kinds of stuff. From me sharing my childhood stories while talking about Noah to the time when she was in the Magic Tower to how she's been since she came to Helios Empire.

Eventually, the topic of the recent war came up. And Selene's eyes lightened up as she became a spirited storyteller.

"It was a cruel plan, but in the end, the majority voted for it. I, together with your brother, and the magic unit of Night Rose, created special magic devices that will explode after reacting with my mana in the fireballs."

Selene's face lit. She didn't even notice that her tea was already cold without her sipping it once.

"It was Sir Gregory that created the magic formula easily after analyzing my mana. What a frighteningly talented man he is! I can't believe somebody like him isn't a part of the Magic Tower!"

Selene continued to speak animatedly. I was listening to her stories attentively while pretending that the caramel cookies were popcorns.

"Can you imagine? I still can vividly remember the feelings that overwhelmed me when I shoot the magic fire cannon into the sky. It was... incredible! It exploded like fireworks... It was so... eerily beautiful..."

Yes. I can imagine.

I'm an avid novel reader after all. Every word Selene said came to life in my mind as if I were reading an alternate version of "Fierce and Tender Blaze of Dawn".

It must've been very bright. The fireworks illuminated the night sky so bright as if it was daytime. And the military camp must've been in a state of chaos. Every single tent exploded leaving nothing but ashes. It was utter carnage.

Woah. I can really see it in my mind.

"That moment of victory would've been the most beautiful and serene moment for me."

Selene looked sullen all of a sudden.

"But that moment was ruined by that muscle-head Lucas Maxwell! He just had to behead an enemy right in front of me and let me witness the gory sight!"

Selene frowned.

"I was keeping my cool on the outside, but in reality, I was really terrified. I told the tactless Lucas- Ah!"

Selene suddenly stopped talking and covered her mouth with her hand. She looked at me apologetically and then she slowly moved her gaze to my bulging stomach.

There was dead silence for a few seconds.

"I, I apologize."

Selene lowered her head.

It's not like I didn't notice that she deliberately refrained from mentioning Lucas from earlier.

And it's not that I didn't notice that she was stealing glances at my bulging belly every once in a while.

It was very considerate of her. But at this very moment, I feel awkward.

And a bit uncomfortable.

I'm reminded of that day when Lucas and Selene sneaked into the Magic Tower to meet me.

Thinking of that day, I'm curious to know what Selene thought of me and Lucas after witnessing the messy emotional drama.

There's no way that Selene doesn't know whose children they are, right? At least, she could guess correctly who the father is.