Chapter Ten

It was now Friday, and Kingsley was working at his desk. Miles and Nina were on the desk beside him, with Miles trying to flirt and miserably failing in his attempts. Just like every one in the office, Nina too, knew that Miles had a thing for her. She clearly liked him too, so Kingsley failed to understand why the two were still playing around.

Kingsley's phone vibrated, and he saw that he was getting a call from Lorenzo.

"I need to see you in my office," Lorenzo spoke as soon as Kingsley picked up the call.

"I'm just finishing up a report, I'll be there in—"

"Now, Reece."

Kingsley frowned as Lorenzo hung up without another word or elaborating on why he needed to see him. Whenever Lorenzo had to schedule a meeting, he would either email Kingsley or ask him in person. Despite the start-up culture not being very rigid, Lorenzo still wasn't casual in the way he worked. This was the first time he had called Kingsley and asked to see him. He had never been this demanding either, so Kingsley immediately knew something was up.

Kingsley made his way to Lorenzo's office, he knocked twice before entering to find Lorenzo sitting on the couch instead of his chair. His head was hanging low, and Kingsley didn't need to see his face to know that he was right in his suspicions.

"Mr. Salazar?"

"It fell through," Lorenzo said as Kingsley sat next to him, "the deal. I asked James a few times for an update but he kept stalling me, reassuring me that that they're just drafting a contract with their lawyers. I finally heard back from them today and they pulled out."

"What? Why?" Kingsley asked, shocked, considering how confident Lorenzo was a few days ago that this was going to work out.

"I don't know," Lorenzo muttered, "they just sent a generic email apologising and saying that they can't take this forward right now but would love to work with us in the future."

"That's such bullshit! I thought they were interested in investing!" Kingsley exclaimed.

"I thought so too, but apparently we were both wrong," Lorenzo let out a dry laugh as he finally looked up, he still wasn't facing Kingsley, he ran a hand through his hair as he whispered, "I'm going to lose my fucking job. Everything that I spent years building."

"You're still going to be working here—"

"But I won't be the CEO anymore," Lorenzo's frustration was clear, and equally as valid, "I can't believe this is happening."

"There's still time, Lorenzo," Kingsley tried to be optimistic as he kept a reassuring hand on Lorenzo's knee, but the man just scoffed in response.

"This was my last hope. There's no way in hell I'd be able to find an investor in what? Two weeks? Less than that, even." Lorenzo stated.

"You've got to be positive—"

"I was, and look where it got me," Lorenzo said, "I shouldn't have relied so much on this one deal. What was I even thinking?"

"You were being hopeful."

"And once again, look where it got me."

Kingsley didn't know what to say as he lightly squeezed Lorenzo's knee. The man was looking straight ahead, but Kingsley could not take his eyes off the dejected expression on his boss's face.

This could not be it. Kingsley was not going to let Lorenzo lose his job. It was about time that he took matters in his own hands.

"Something will work out. I promise."