Chapter Fourteen

"—that's it for the meeting today, you all can get back to work now," Lorenzo finished. Everyone started leaving, when the boss spoke up again, "Reece? Can you stay for a moment?"

"Sure," Kingsley replied.

He sat back down on the conference table, whereas Lorenzo stood and watched everyone slowly disperse from the room. Kingsley was openly staring at the man, wondering what this could be about. He hadn't spoken to Lorenzo since Friday, so he was excited to finally be alone with him.

Once everyone had left, Lorenzo walked over to Kingsley and got seated next to him.

"I asked you to stay behind because..." Lorenzo paused, his eyes on Kingsley, "I want you to be our main point of contact with the Russo Group, well, with whoever is in charge of their subsidiary."

"Me?" Kingsley could feel the color draining from his skin, "why me?"

"Do you really need to ask that?" Lorenzo rose his brows, "you've been working way too hard for this. This is a great opportunity and you deserve this."

As the anonymous owner of the company, Kingsley wasn't sure what the legalities were of him being the point of contact. But it all seemed way too complicated.

"I think you should give this work to Nina," Kingsley finally said, making Lorenzo frown, "she's much better suited than me for this, and you know she's a very hard worker."

"She is, no doubt, but you've already been working for—"

"I'm more of a behind the scenes guy, I mean, a few meetings are fine but I'm really more happy working in front of a screen, you know? I don't think I'd be right for this," Kingsley replied.

"I suppose I forgot I hired you as a web developer after all these weeks of working together," Lorenzo nodded understandingly.

"Yep. Public relations for a nerd like me? Not the best fit," Kingsley reiterated.

"Fair enough," Lorenzo said, "I'll talk to Nina. You're right."

"Yeah..."

Kingsley stared at Lorenzo, finally a bit relaxed. He couldn't tell what Lorenzo was thinking, he hated how he could never guess what his expressions meant. Not like he was very good at reading people, but he would've liked to at least have an idea.

"You can go back to work now. Ask Nina to see me in my office in fifteen, please," Lorenzo said as he got up from the chair to walk to the head of the table, where all his stuff was.

"Right, okay," Kingsley muttered. He was expecting a little something more. But he should've known Lorenzo was too professional to do anything, at least in office hours. 

Disappointed, Kingsley walked out of the conference room and to his cubicle. He didn't know what he was expecting, it's not like Lorenzo was going to touch him when there was the whole office behind the glass doors. Kingsley informed Nina that Lorenzo wanted to see him, and she frowned.

"What for?" Nina asked.

"Some work," Kingsley muttered, not in the mood anymore.

"Okay," Nina replied, looking a bit suspicious, "did you hear about Walter Clark?"

"Who?"

"The COO of SoulTech," Nina answered.

"No, what about him?" Kingsley asked.

"He was fired."

"Why?"

"Slept with a subordinate, apparently they had been doing that for over a year before the cleaning lady walked in on them in his office at night," Nina said, "it's all over the news, have you been living under a rock?"