Chapter Thirty Five

"Reece, come on, let's not be rash here," Lorenzo sighed. "You don't have to quit."

"I'm sorry but if things between us stay this tense then..." Kingsley paused. "I don't think this will be a healthy working environment for me."

"I apologize," Lorenzo said. "I will... make sure I treat you the same way I treat all my other employees."

"That's what you don't get, Lorenzo," Kingsley let out a dry chuckle. "I'm not like all your other employees. It's not about how you treat me, or what work you assign me, it's... it's just too damn hard to be around you right now, okay? I can't simply sit at my desk and pretend that you're just my boss."

"We can work this out, it'll be hard for some time but—"

"Can you seriously look at me right now and tell me that you don't want me? That it's easy for you to be in the same room as me? Can you really ignore it all?" Kingsley asked. Lorenzo stared at Kingsley, his face devoid of any emotion as the two stayed silent. Lorenzo pressed his lips in a thin line, before finally looking away. 

"I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too," Kingsley replied. "But I've made up my mind."

"And there's nothing I can do to change it?" Lorenzo asked one last time, as he glanced at the other man again.

Kingsley bit the inside of his cheek as their eyes stayed focused on one another. Kingsley couldn't even believe how fast things went south between the two. Just a few days ago, things with them were so different. So good. So much so that Kingsley had almost stopped being in denial of his feelings for his boss.

But now... everything had changed.

A part of Kingsley couldn't not think of the possibility that if he was no longer working for Lorenzo, then maybe, just maybe they could be together again. Do things the right way this time. But he was still angry at him. And his pride simply wouldn't allow him to go running and pleading back to Lorenzo. He had made up his mind about more things than one.

Kingsley shook his head. There was nothing that Lorenzo could do to stop him from resigning.

Kingsley didn't wait for Lorenzo to speak up again, any words that either of them had to say had already been said. Kingsley picked up his laptop, leaving the file behind on the table and went back to his cubicle. Instead of finishing the work he had, he started typing up his resignation. 

Once Kingsley was done, all he could do was stare at the screen. He felt numb as his eyes skimmed through the words over and over again. He couldn't even imagine quitting his job a week ago, he truly did love working at Salazar Tech. He had always felt aimless in life, but ever since he started working there he felt like he was finally good for something. That he wasn't just a waste of oxygen and space.

What Kingsley believed in got reinforced once again, that all good things come to an end.

Kingsley waited for the clock to hit five, and then with shaky hands, he finally clicked 'send'. Within a couple of seconds, the email was sent, and Kingsley's resignation was final. Kingsley took a deep breath as he closed his eyes and rested his head on his desk, almost knocking over his coffee mug.

"You okay?" Miles asked as he packed up his things, looking over at Kingsley with concern on his face.

"Huh?" Kingsley rose his head. "Uh, yeah. Just a headache."

"Need an aspirin. I have—"

"I'm good, really," Kingsley reassured. Miles frowned, but nodded nonetheless.

"Is Roan picking you up or should I drop you at your place? Or the subway?" Miles questioned.

"I drove today," Kingsley answered as he finally got up to gather his things as well.