Chapter Forty Three

"I think you should come with me to Javi's wedding," Lorenzo said out of the blue, almost making Kingsley choke on his burrito.

Kingsley coughed, before wiping his lips and looking up at his boyfriend, his wide eyes clearly showing the shock that he was feeling. Leave it to Lorenzo to choose the most random time to drop a bomb like this. They were currently at a tex-mex restaurant grabbing lunch on a Saturday. Lorenzo had stayed the previous night over at Kingsley's, and safe to say, both of them had worked up quite the appetite.

"Are you asking me or telling me?" Kingsley retorted.

"Force of habit, sorry," Lorenzo shook his head. "Mi amor, would you like to accompany me as my date to my brother's wedding next month?"

"You seriously want me to come with you?" Kingsley questioned, geniunely surprised with Lorenzo.

"I wouldn't have asked you if I didn't," Lorenzo shrugged casually, before taking a bite of his taco.

"So, essentially... you want me to meet your family," Kingsley hummed, his mind already imagining all the possible scenarios. Most of them were not good, making him shudder internally.

"I'll have to warn you that they're very loud, especially mamà and my brothers," Lorenzo said. "I know this might be a bit early so it's your decision. But I do want you to meet them eventually if you're not ready now. They're very important to me and so are you. I... I want them to meet and know the man that I love."

"Enzo..." Kingsley sighed. "I do want to meet them but..."

"But what?" Lorenzo asked softly. When Kingsley didn't say anything, Lorenzo leant forward, sliding his hand across the table they were seated at to keep it on top of Kingsley's, intertwining their fingers. "I know it's a big step, and you're still getting used to this whole... commitment thing. I'm scared too. The last time I was serious about being with somebody it didn't go well at all. I rushed things and I messed up. But I don't want to do that with you, so if you're unsure then you don't have to come with me. I understand and I promise I won't be upset."

"It's not that, I mean, it's that too but..." Kingsley trailed off, before exhaling deeply and looking at Lorenzo. "I'm not super good with parents. Cole's parents hated my guts, all they saw was a spoiled brat that spent all his time partying. Which wasn't exactly inaccurate at the time but... still, they didn't give me a chance. They had their preconceived notions that were set in stone."

"I promise you my parents aren't close minded like that," Lorenzo said reassuringly. "They're super protective of me, yeah, even though I'm a fully grown man now so they might grill you a little but... uh, they have heard a lot about you, and I know they want to get to know you better personally."

"Huh?" Kingsley blinked.

"I mean, I told Javi about you when he was visiting and then he told mamà because he absolutely cannot keep his mouth shut and she called me screaming about not telling her my love life and how the big city has changed me and it was a whole thing," Lorenzo chuckled. "My point is that they know how happy you make me, and that you gave me a second chance when I fucked up. That's what matters."

"I'll think about it," Kingsley stated with a nod.

"That's all I ask," Lorenzo smiled softly as he squeezed Kingsley's hand, before retreating it.

Kingsley couldn't help but focus at the loving look on Lorenzo's face, the way he stared at Kingsley with such tenderness in his eyes. It made Kingsley's heart warm with affection, and brought a very familiar sensation in his gut.

Ugh, stupid butterflies, Kingsley thought.

"Okay. I thought about it and I want to go with you," Kingsley answered, making Lorenzo raise a brow.