Chapter 17

(Eli PoV)

I stood at the door of the containment unit that formerly held Subject B-1424.

But was now empty.

I turned to the two guards behind me. "Who was last in here?"

"Uh..." one of them started. Neither of them gave me a straight answer, so I repeated myself.

"I said, who was last in here?" I stated.

"I think it must have happened between shifts..." the second guard replied, "I didn't see anyone, and the other guys didn't during their shift."

I sighed, and pushed my glasses higher on my face. "This is why we need higher security," I muttered. "Are the other experiments secured?"

The first guard shifted uncomfortably. The second looked away.

"Am I not making myself clear?" I said, "Answer me!"

"Um... not really..." the first guard said.

I blinked. "And what does 'not really' mean?"

"We... don't really... know..."

I sighed in frustration. "How many times do I have to remind you how dangerous they can be?"

I didn't wait for an answer. I turned around and walked back to the door.

"Set an alert for the entire complex, as well as those stationed within a 50-mile radius," I said, "Kill any human helping them, but I want those experiments back alive."

As the two guards rushed off to make the alert, I pressed some buttons on my watch until a holographic screen popped up. It showed Subjects A-117X and J-00C13, who had picked up on the other end.

"What's wrong?" A-1 asked.

"The others have escaped. I think my son might be with them," I said, "You two know what to do."

A-1 nodded. "We won't let you down, boss."

"I trust that you won't."

—————————

(Blaza PoV)

I know for a fact this can't be so easy.

For starters, Laff is here trying to "help." Never, and I mean never, has Laff helped us. He's the one who got us into this mess. If he never showed up, we'd all be at home, including Socks, Muffin, and Tbh.

Then there's also the fact that Ally and Joocie aren't here. They're not the best tempered experiments out there, and they both support Eli all the way through. Having them on the loose and not on our side is not giving us bright outlooks with this plan.

"The exit should be just up ahead!" Lynn called out.

Jesus Christ, I hope so. Even with TB's expansion to the vent, it was still quite cramped.

After a while longer of crawling through the vents, we came up on a section where a bunch of vents met into a kind of intersection.

"Where do we go?" I called out.

"I don't know, this isn't on the map!" Lynn called back.

"I got it!"

Somewhere up ahead, Nadwe switched to bat form and squeezed to the front. I braced my ears, for I knew exactly what he was about to do.

But of course, bat squeaks are pretty loud, so that didn't completely help.

After the echo died down (and my ears stopped ringing), I heard Nadwe call out,

"Go left!"

So when I got up there, I followed everybody left.

There were multiple instances like that, so maybe Lynn's map was outdated. That kind of worried me, who knows what they've added in here. The map could be completely wrong at this point.

It was a while before I heard someone again.

"We're here!" Lynn said. I could see up ahead that the vent opened up to another room.

After finally crawling out of the claustrophobic space, I looked around the room we had entered. It wasn't very big, and didn't have any windows. However, I did see a door on one side, as well as a ladder leading up on the other. Lynn walked over to the door and slid the lock in, just in case.

"That's the way out," Lynn said, pointing to the ladder, "I'd come with you, but I've gotta stay and cover for you guys."

I turned to Lynn. "Lynn, we can't thank you enough for this."

"Then don't," Lynn replied, "Now go, before someone tries to get in this way!"

I nodded, then looked at everyone else.

"Well, you heard her," I said, "Let's go!"

Meme went up the ladder first, followed by TBVG, Dino, Woolfster, and the rest. I quickly followed behind.

Finally.

We're going home.

-----------------

Once again, Blaza.

NOT GONNA BE THAT EASY >:))))

688 words lazy :(