52 // unwanted apologies

@immawonderwall is superb so please follow her right now.

***

He waits outside the school with a somber expression. His hair is flattened by that hat, and his lips are pressed in a thin, stressed out line.

"Hey, Cam?" I smile uncertainly. He unhitched himself from leaning on the post by the sidewalk and walks closer.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He looks worried. Apologetic. Sorry. He's sorry.

"Tell you what?"

"That I... I kissed you. I didn't remember but why..." He goes to run a hand through his hair, and encounters the cap. He cups his fingers around the white bill and tugs it down.

"Cam."

"I'm... you were acting all weird and you didn't tell me. I would have... apologized. I will, I'm sorry that I, um, took advantage. Of you."

"Advantage." I stare at him blankly, torn between anger and laughter. I can't believe he thinks....

"I know you think I'm a player and I've told you I'm not, and I really didn't...."

"Cam, you kissed me on the cheek. Calm down." His eyes widen. "Stop worrying about it."

I take one step closer; we're a breath away. In a movement half-bravery, half-stupidity, I let my head lean just a bit closer until my lips touch the silky skin of his cheek.

He's gaping at me, literally, mouth open and eyes bugged.

"See you around." And I somewhat-casually walk away.