Kai Embrose

"Never have I ever had a popsicle." I smiled, walking into her room.

"Never actually." She looked at me and I pulled one from behind my back, handing it to her.

"Now there's a stupid hack where you try to snap it to open it but I brought scissors." I cut it open and handed it to her.

She laughed and ate a little piece.

"This is really good." She looked at me.

"You're turn for a question." I sat down across from her.

"Hmmm never have I ever seen a Disney film." She said.

"I have." I nodded.

"Never." She smiled.

"No way."

"Actually, I don't think I've ever watched a movie." She thought about it.

"Woah. That's a crime." I ate my own popsicle.

She laughed.

"Okay, never have I ever... you see I thought this would be fun but I feel like you're a bit sheltered and I don't want to insult you." I laughed.

She smiled.

"I know. It's funny watching you think though." She joked.

I rolled my eyes.

"Kai?" She got up from her bed, finishing the popsicles and setting the wrapper down.

"What's up?" I asked.

"If you'll keep it on can I paint your nails?" She opened her closet and I smiled.

"Why?" I watched her pull a big bucket of colors out.

"It's a sign of true friendship." She set it on the bed and I heard the glass clack together.

"Only if you paint yours to match me. Even the ugliest of colors." I smiled.

"Deal. And I won't chose anything ugly." She frowned.

"Alright then." I watched as she sat back down, over her blankets and sitting criss cross.

"I like you in my clothes." I moved, pulling the hood off her head.

"They're really comfortable." She nodded.

"Okay, don't take this question as an underlying meaning, by no means is it an insult but did he let you shower often?" I asked.

She shook her head.

"I drowned in perfume for ages." She sighed.

"Scoot closer." She told me and I did, hanging my legs off the bed since I wasn't flexible enough to sit like she was.

She grabbed my left hand, pulling it onto her leg.

"Sorry, not allowed to shave very often either." She apologized.

I noticed but hardly.

"How about a bit later, we go to the store and see what things they have. We can get new a shampoo and conditioner, whatever scent you like, a body wash, shaving foam, a razor. All that kinda stuff. Then if you're up for it, I'll bring over a laundry bag and you can stuff it with your clothes and I can wash all of it." I said and she looked at me.

"Can you teach me how to wash them?" She asked.

"Of course." I nodded.

"Is this a good color?" She picked up a light purple.

"Whatever you'd like." I said and she smiled.

I watched, her shaky hands painting my nails.

When she finished, she told me to wave it as she painted my other one.

I felt like such a dork flailing my arm at random.

-

"All done and dry." She told me and I looked at them.

"Gorgeous." I smiled.

There was a sudden knock at the door and she looked at me.

"You wanna get it?" I asked and she shook her head no, pointing to her beaten face.

"Paint your nails, I'll be back." I nodded and walked down the stairs, opening the door.

"Oh- uhm hi. Is Ari home?" The next door neighbor asked.

"She's exhausted." I answered.

"Well then, I saw the news. I'm sorry for her loss and god if I would've known I would've called the cops sooner. He seemed like a great-"

"I understand. I do." I interrupted.

"These are cupcakes, I hope she isn't allergic to anything." She shrugged and I took them.

"I'll let her know you came by and deliver your apologies. Have a very nice day." I smiled, waiting until she began walking to shut the door.

I set them in the fridge, walking back to her.

"I heard." She smiled. It was fake.

"Okay." I whispered and sat.

"Everyone's gonna know." She sighed.

"I know, and realistically people will make jokes and comments. I know you probably don't want to hear that but it's reality." I said and she nodded.

"It's okay, four months till school is over." She focused on painting them.

"Those are very pretty." I said and she cracked a genuine grin.

I looked at mine and smiled.

They didn't look ridiculous, they looked pretty good.

"If we leave let me know what time? I gotta get readier on the face side." She didn't look at me.

"Can you teach me to do your makeup one day?" I asked and she huffed a little laugh.

"If you're gentle."

"Nothing but. I have pretty hands now, I can't do heavy work, I'll ruin them." I watched her face, waiting for a smile or something but I was met with a good laugh.

I smiled and she shook her head.

"I have a question." She said.

"I might have an answer."

"Do boys really find skinny attractive?" She looked at me while flailing her hands.

"Depending on the boy. Unfortunately some would find you attractive in this state but those are the same boys that would lay a hand on their woman. That's why they're a boy." I told her and she nodded.

"And then my dad said a real man knows how to discipline his woman. Not all people are like that right?" She tilted her head.

"Oh no. No no no. Theirs no discipline in a relationship. There's talks and learning lessons and break ups. No hitting or beatings or forced sex. None of that is bound for any relationship in general, more than dating or marriage, I'm talking it's not right for parent/kid ones, friends, siblings. Not all people are like him." I answered her.

She nodded, believing me but still not convinced.

Honestly I get why, there's nothing that can fix that kind of abuse, not only is it physical but it's mental. I believe mental abuse is one of the worst types.

There was no way you could shove this girl into a bar with 50/50 men and women and expect her to not crumble. It's in her head, it's all she knows.

"Thank you." She said.

"You say that too much." I mumbled.

"As much as the whole term with 'you don't know what you have till it's gone' is true but I think the alternative is truer." She sighed.

"What's the alternative?" I asked.

"You don't know what you didn't have til you were given it." She touched her nails, seeing if they dried.

"You're welcome. But your only welcome if you stop saying thank you so much." I laughed.

That was genius. The alternative was genius.

"I'll try." She smiled.