Kai Embrose

I yawned, waking up and feeling an unfamiliar weight on my chest.

I remembered how she'd fallen asleep and I smiled at her face what was smooshed against my chest.

I touched the barely visible bruises on her face and sighed.

I moved, letting her head fall on the pillow softly as I stood, picking her up and taking her out of my sheets.

I moved to her room, setting her down on her bed, pulling the covers over her.

"Why're you going?" She whispered.

"I'm not going anywhere angel." I moved her hair from her face.

"Promise?" She sighed and I nodded.

"I promise. I'll be downstairs if you need me." I stood, walking back to my room.

I brushed my teeth and hair, too lazy to wash my face so I just walked downstairs and got myself a bowl of cereal.

I ate it quickly, drinking the milk afterward and doing the dishes so I could finally run the dishwasher.

I went outside, opening my glovebox in my car and grabbing the last made blunt I had.

I hated it. I hated that I began this.

I lit it and took a deep inhale.

I touched my neck with my other hand, feeling the bubbled scar.

I sighed.

I didn't want to die if this was my life from now on.

I don't understand how things switch so fast but I've never been interested in being alone.

I found it miserable. Walking around, talking to people who don't know me.

People who can't relate.

To be honest I'd probably follow Ariella around like a lost dog.

I heard the door open and Ari came to me, wrapping her arms around my torso.

I laughed.

"What're you doing?" I asked and she grumbled words but I had no idea what she said.

"Hugging you." She mumbled.

Obviously.

"Sorry, I probably smell bad now." I said and she shook her head.

"It's okay. You don't smell bad." She told me.

I dropped it, stepping on it multiple times before bending and picking it up.

-

"Kai?" She looked at me, spooning a small bite of cereal into her mouth.

"Ari?"

"What happened to you?" She asked, looking at my throat.

I smiled.

"I guess I know your story don't I? It's only fair." I chuckled.

"If you don't wanna tell me you don't have to." She frowned.

"No it's alright." I took a heavy breath.

"My dad is a lot like yours. My mom, the sweetest woman. My dad would have sex with my mom, although they were married she didn't want it. He would beat her, come home reeking of beer. Hints why I don't drink." I shook my head.

"He began beating me when my mom was too tired to fight with him. When he began I was about 10? Beating on me and sometimes he'd even crack a glass bottle onto my head. I have some scars from it. My sister and I were about four years apart? She was and is my everything, her name's Kate. Anyways, she always saw it, heard the rape, watched the beatings but my dad wouldn't ever lay a hand on her. And I'm glad." I nodded.