Age of Titans: Kronos

There were 2 glaring flaws that were made clear with his last fight. 

Gun depression and turret rotation speed. 

And his upgrade only solved the latter. 

His reasoning for not solving the former even though it was arguably a bigger issue is based upon 3 potential solutions that, if implemented, would have caused more problems. 

The first being the possibility of making his turrets smaller. A smaller turret meant more room to look down as there was less armor getting in the way of the barrel.

This also meant that a smaller turret could be pushed towards the edge of the Ratte a bit more, allowing for more clearance for the gun's depression as his body wouldn't be able to block the barrel.  

But this means that his current guns would be no longer compatible, and he would have no idea what caliber they would get demoted to. 

This brings us to the second potential solution, which was reducing the size of the guns. In doing so, it would reduce the barrels' diameters and lengths of all his turrets. 

A shorter barrel is generally easier to move around and has more air to work with. This also means that the size of the turret doesn't matter, as the empty space inside would be harmless. 

Obviously, this comes at the cost of reduced firepower, which makes this solution void. What point is there in solving one problem if another problem, one that was solved in the past, takes its place?

The last potential solution was to make himself smaller so that his turrets would be closer to the ground. This way, they can preserve their firepower and protection qualities while also gaining more depression. 

He immediately discarded this possibility as it brought up a multitude of problems. These included questions like "how small is too small" and "how much of his internal systems would be preserved in the tighter space"?

Most worrying was the question "how much would his armor integrity suffer?" as a smaller him meant less mass, and less mass meant less armor and protection. 

In short, there were just too many things that could go wrong, which meant solving this particular problem was not an option with his knowledge. 

Turret rotation speed could be solved, mainly because of the way many turrets were designed during the second world war. Nearly all tanks had a hand crank system for turning their turrets, with only the really late war ones having hydraulic/electrical assistance. 

Even if late-war Germany had the technology to replace the hand crank system, they didn't have the resources to do so. As this particular tech made its effectiveness known and was improved upon over time, it seemed like the best thing to get. 

A turret powered or assisted by electricity moves way faster than one turned by a human operator. The hydraulic liquid passing through pumps to the motors that use this electricity need to be at a certain temperature. 

It is a known fact that cold liquid is more densely packed than warm liquid. This means that the hydraulic pressure used to turn the turret is higher, which puts a detriment on the turret's speed as the liquid effectively becomes something stickier, like slime. 

Synthetic replacements usually solve this problem, either by having properties that retain a liquid's heat, or having properties that make it easier to warm the liquid up. This way, hydraulic pressure remains low and the liquid's viscosity is basically non-existent. 

The increase in his turrets' speed ranges as the difference in caliber from 183 to 380 mm is vast, and so is the turret's size. If he had to take a guess, 20% or more seemed like a pretty reasonable number to bet on.