Age of Strife: Rorke's Passage

"The sun, the stars, the sky. You know what they all have in common? Without each other, what we perceive as normal would cease to exist. It is-or was-my job to help maintain this normalcy, so that the world below would stay as it is."

"Beautiful. Functional. Not a paradise, but at least the mortals could be happy. It brings back memories, you know, of times when I viewed my duty as nothing more than mundane and simple."

"Ha. I did not move the sun or the stars, nor could the gods, believe it or not. Oh? You would believe that? How interesting. Many hold utmost reverence towards the gods, but I guess there are exceptions."

"Then again, you have been the exception for as long as I have known you."

"Ha ha ha! What is this feeling? That which you call 'sarcasm'? It is such an interesting emotion. Take it the wrong way, and you offend oneself. Take it the way it was intended, and you get a joke that's actually funny!"

"It's almost like the sides of a coin. They look different, but they're part of the same thing."

"You don't get it? How could you n-ahem, I mean, one sentence can have many meanings, like how a coin has two separate sides. In the end, they come from the same source, no?"

"Ahhh see? See? You get it now, don't you?"

"Yep. Yep. Mhm. Oh, how amusing. You actually did that before? Not the wisest of decisions, but it's certainly funny. What am I referring to? Why, I could be referring to a multitude of things that you've done before!"

"You feel embarrassed? How so? You don't want to elaborate? Why not? Does it pain you to relive parts of your past?"

"...I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything. No no, there's no need to hide it. There's no point in lying, remember? You wouldn't want to sin in front of me, riiight?"

*Snort*

"I'm glad to see we're both on the same page. My life? You wish to know about it? Very well, though I suspect it was no different from yours."

"You don't believe me? Why? Because I'm an angel and you're not, so our lives had to be drastically different? Well, I suppose you're right, though our day to day tasks have more in common than you realize."

"I would patrol Sanctuary along with the other angels. Talk to them, have fun with them. Though our definition of 'fun' may seem a bit bland to you. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner were optional, as was sleep."

"Not many would skip sleeping though. It's such a wonderful feeling, isn't it? To wake up refreshed and energized for the next day? I can't put my finger on it, but it feels entirely different compared to energizing oneself with magic."

"Tsk tsk tsk. It is not good to be jealous. It does not do wonders for your mind. You should be grateful for what you have, and not be envious for the lack of it. Besides, you're not actually bothered by being unable to sleep, right?"

Such were the words of the angel during some of the conversations between he and her whenever she went topside. Most of the time, she would silently sunbathe, even though it seemed her skin was immune to tan. 

His chassis dipped as they entered a valley, which grew to be a canyon with tall rock walls on either side. A tumbleweed fell down a cliff and rolled behind him, disappearing behind cover.

The sound of a hatch opening signaled to him to be on guard, as the angel would usually head inside whenever there was danger around. An unspoken warning, but helpful nevertheless. 

Floating down the hatch hole, he felt slightly anxious when her boots scratched his armor. He remembered one time the angel had tripped on his deck, digging a boot into him.