Chapter 57 - Spain

We played Iceland the next day, and won 2-0. It was satisfying to have won another match, and to go into the round of 16 top of the group.

However, our opponent was not set to be an easy match up.

It was determined that we would be up against Spain in the round of 16. Spain had been growing in skill and talent, and some of the best players in the world were on their team, including Mapi Leon, Jenni Hermoso and Alexia Putellas.

"This may just be the most interesting game of the round," one commentator said to another. Tierna had the tv on in the back, as we were both getting ready to head to the pitch in Brisbane. We had flown from Adelaide the day earlier, and were to play later that night.

"Most definitely. We have world number 1, the US, up against world number 8, Spain," the other commentator added.

"Who do we think will win this match up?"

"It's a tough one. If Spain plays the way they know how, by holding possession and giving the US little chance to convert, Spain may have a chance. But we know players such as Bradie Van Dyk don't like to stay quiet."

"What about Alexia Putellas though? Will she be what Spain needs to get them through to the next round?"

"Possibly. She has a fire, and brings that wherever she plays, whether that is for Barcelona or Spain. She will be instrumental today if Spain wants to get that win."

"Okay, final predictions?"

"I'm going 1-1, with a penalty shootout."

"Who scores the winner?"

"Putellas. What about you?"

"Same, except the winner will be scored by Van Dyk."

"Wow," Tierna said to me, "they're praising you right now."

"Not praising," I responded, "they're mounting the pressure?"

"Do you think your going to get the winner?"

"T, I can't see into the future. Can you?"

"Very true. Sorry."

"As long as we play our best, that is all we can hope for. And I think our best is better than theirs."

I walked downstairs, and got on the bus. I started sitting by myself, trying to clear my mind before the games. I used to sit with Sam in the back, with all the other girls but now, my brain has changed. My outlook has changed. Things have changed.

As we got off the bus, I had my earbuds in.

"Bradie, give us a wave," I heard the media guy muffle. I smiled at the camera pointed at me, while walking to the players entrance. As I turned behind, the rest of the girls stumbled out, all chatting and laughing together. I took a breath, and continued on.

"Okay," Vlatko said, as we sat in the changing room, "Alyssa in goals, Alana and Naomi in backline, Kelley on right and Sofia on left, Sam, Kristie in middle, with Lindsey as captain, and Sophia on right, Mal on left, and Bradie as 9. We have a lot of work we must do today. We must be clinical. Spain will want to hold possession, so we have to make sure we are impressive in front of goal. Bradie, Sophia and Mal use your chances. I'm not sure how many we will get today."

"Hands in," Lindsey then said, "let's go out and play the way we know how. We need to win this."

As we lined up to go out, I made a conscious effort to not be late. I had been getting into a bad habit recently, and I knew it was becoming more noticeable each time I did it. So, I slotted into the end of the line, before we had even stepped on the pitch.