Chapter 9

Wednesday's POV

It was Friday. I was having Maths when I got a text from Tyler.

It was a picture of the mask of Anubi with him in the focus, his tongued stucked between his teeth. Then he sent me a picture of the mask in the case. I could read the target on ot that said "Taking photos is forbidden". I talked with Tyler for twenty minutes and that was enough to make me realize he wasn't the type of guy who liked to follow the rules.

When the lessons ended, I went looking for the guys. Their favorite place was a bench in the park, under the shadow of a dead tree. It had somekind of dark peaceful aesthetic. I liked it, too.

The first thing i noticed was Enid's lack. She has been around with her new werewolf "friend" since Monday. I was pretty sure she was avoiding me, since she came back in our bedroom only to sleep.

I didn't understand why she was doing so, I didn't say anything so hurtful to make her avoiding me. Especially, considering the last time I told her something really bad, she pretended nothing has happened.

I didn't even know why I was thinkink about her that much. I mean, if Enid preferred to spend her time with "Juliet" - what a stupid romantic name - it wasn't my business.

I showed Tamara, Xavier and Ajax my phone and the photos I got.

- He has your number? - Tamara asked, looking at me from behind her sunglasses dark lens. I shrugged my shoulders. - He had to sent me the photos somehow - I said.

- Well. We have the proof the mask that was at Nevermore is now at the museum - Xavier said.

I looked at him and before I had the chance to say anything, Ajax signed - Why are you so sure it's the same mask?

- 'Cause of this - Xavier pointed at a circle at the centre of the mask in the picture. - I saw the other masks of Anubi, making research, and what makes Nevermore's one so special is that... "thing" - he explained. - I don't know if it had a function or it was just a fashion choice but that sign makes our mask unique.

- What are we talking about? - A voice from my back asked. I turned around to look at Enid, wearing her usual black and blue uniform, looking at the phone in Tamara's hands.

- Picture of the mask - Tamara answered. And before any of us could tell her more, Juliet came close, said hello to us and whispered something in Enid's ear.

I clenched my fists in my pocket. I didn't like that girl. She was a distraction for Enid. She wasn't focused on our case as much as she was before.

Juliet looked at Enid and she nodded in answer to whatever they were talking about. Then, the alpha waved her hand as a goodbye and came back to her pack, that was wainting for her in a corner of the park.

When Juliet was out of sight, Enid focused on the explanation Tamara was givinig her.

- By the way you heard abut the Halloween ball? - Enid asked.

Oh, God, no. I hated ball and everything that included dances.

- Yes, we'll go together, right? - Xavier said. Ajax nodded while Tamara tried to gain some time drinking her blood drink. - I'm not a fan of balls - she said, sharing my feelings.

- You don't have to dance, if you don't want to - Enid said. - It's just to celebrate Halloween. And we'll go to the carnival first.

Right, the carnival. I didn't want to go there but, since Enid avoided me for almost the entire week, I didn't want to mess things up, even more than they already were. So, I had to go.