Chapter 17

"I think there are more traitors than I imagined." Mikhail's eyes darkened as he went through the papers of his employees.

"I guess." Nikolai shrugged as he went around the room, from one bookshelf to another, as he looked at the thick documents in his friend's study. "Your plan worked. Now we know which faction the traitor belongs to." He smirked, then paused and looked at his frenemy, who sat in the large leather chair opening a huge file on his large study table.

"And you're resting today for a change." He commented, making Mikhail shift in his chair uncomfortably.

"I'm catching the traitors," Mikhail retorted in his defense.

"Yeah, but usually you'd be out there catching them not going through these boring papers here." Nikolai chuckled as he was enjoying teasing him.

"Well, 'cause I need to send her these pictures upstairs so she can confirm if they were the ones or not," Mikhail replied, clearing his throat.

"Is that the only reason?" Nikolai walked towards him and took a seat in the opposite chair.

"What do you mean?" Mikhail raised his face from the file and glared at him.

"Nothing just wanted to confirm the rumors. I heard things about last night." Nikolai smiled playfully as he was loving the new expressions on his frenemy's face. Normally you'd just be wondering what was going on in his mind, he'd never let anything on his face, very handy yet dangerous skill, that's why he joined hands with this man for almost 7 years now, he didn't want this man as his enemy, ever. But they weren't like best friends forever, they'd definitely kill each other without hesitation if ever the time came.

"Anyway, your bride is quite something, isn't she? She sneaked out of the mansion without a single soul knowing about it, she even reached that place and fetched her things and if we didn't go there she would've completed her mission without a hitch. see you're just underestimating her, why don't you keep her by your side?"

"She doesn't belong here, Nikolai." 

"But you're interested in her, aren't you?" He checked for any hint in his face but the devil had his guard on, his face didn't betray him. 

"Interest?" Mikhail scoffed. "If someone reads you a fairy tale every day for years and one day that fairy suddenly pops in front of you, you'll just get curious and nothing else." 

"oh, so you do agree you're curious?" Nikolai let out an amusing smile.

"Don't push it, Romanov." he glared at him. 

"Okay fine, but I'm really impressed by your wife. You were supposed to protect her but she saved your life instead, wait... Is it thrice now?" He raised his fingers one by one counting the incident, first with Yusef, second when he was about to slip off from the 10th floor, and third last night. 

"I wasn't dying." Mikhail rolled his eyes. It was just a fever, but a strange one, it really messed up his mind, he thought as he remembered a glimpse from the last night. 

"I'm glad you're fine." 

 "Mmm... thank you..."

He couldn't believe how he had let his guard down, enough to sleep with someone's presence in his room, he was a light sleeper even the sound of a light footstep would've alerted him, or his nightmares wouldn't let him sleep, but that wasn't the case last night. He really had a good sleep after ages. 

"Could you please share? I'm quite interested, I just loved your face right now." Nikolai's words brought him back from his thoughts. 

"Scram." Mikhail spat the word and his eyes went back to focus on the papers in his hands.