Chapter 23

She gulped as she stared at the file in front of her. 

"All the information we have on Christopher Jones." The officer had said. 

Finally, finally, I have something on Chris! Finally! Her heart wildly pounded against her chest as she reached for the file. With her trembling hands, she slowly opened it. Her eyes went wide as she went through the papers. 

"Three years ago, Christopher Jones was arrested for the murder of Vladimir Gorbachev, a well-renowned politician of liberal democratic." The officer told her.

"No," she shook her head, refusing to believe what he said. She knew about his suspension from the hospital, cancellation of his license, and the controversial death of a political leader, but a murder he said... "Chris would never." She glared at him. "This isn't true." 

He just rolled his eyes at her and continued, "but before we could move ahead with further investigation, he made a prison break." He moved a little closer to turn the page of the file in her hand. 

Lies, Lies! Her brain screamed, but the paper in front of her supported his words. The newspaper cut-outs, the investigation notes, and every piece of evidence spoke against her brother.

"To save himself from the police, he joined hands with Vasiliev, your ex-fiancee." The officer added. 

"What?" She was completely taken aback by his words.

He turned to another page, there were pictures of Chris and Viktor. 

"What the hell?" She couldn't believe her eyes. Chris... he... she touched his face on the picture... all this time he had been going through so much and not even once did he let her know anything about it. He didn't even let her think something was wrong until last year. Mustering every bit of courage she looked at him, and asked, "Where is Chris now?" 

"No one knows, at one point he was spotted with your husband. He apparently betrayed Vasiliev leading to bad blood between Vasiliev and Fedorov but rumors have it he betrayed Fedorov too, leading to his demise." 

Her world came crashing down, her heart was crushed into pieces. Her face went pale and she forgot how to breathe. 

Gauzing her expressions, the officer's face alarmed as he immediately spoke, "But these are only rumors," He eyed her cautiously, "If you want I can help you find out more about your brother." 

But she couldn't hear him, she was too distraught to listen to anything, she was almost lifeless. 

"Your brother might be alive, Amethyst." His raised voice pierced her ears.

"Alive..." She muttered, the word woke her up from the trance, "Chris is alive?" She breathed. Tears pooled in her eyes, "Chris... he..." Her hands dropped the files.

The officer gave her a look of pity. 

"I can help you find your brother." He mentioned again.

Hope shimmered in her eyes. 

"But..." He paused.

"But?" She frowned.

"You need to bring me information on your husband... information that'll help me send him behind the bars." The officer threw his gamble.

"Information?" She looked at him in confusion.

"Let me tell you the truth, Mrs. Fedorov, in the next five minutes, you're getting out of here." He shrugged,  "why? cause your husband can do so and he's already on his way, as they say, Fedorov, makes the law." 

She was quiet as she was trying to process things.

"Criminals aren't supposed to make laws, they're to be in prison where they belong and I want you to help me throw that criminal into the prison." He told her.