Chapter Five: Missed Oppertunities

Rhea's POV:

"I wasn't stealing" I defend.

Here I am... seated on the bed in the guest room... under trial once again.

"Beck had them. I literally had them in my hands for two seconds before you came in." I try to explain.

"Are you seriously trying to shift the blame onto a small child?" She asks.

She can't be fucking serious.

"It's not shifting blame if that's what happened." I explain in an irritated tone.

"I don't know if I can trust you, Rhea. You have been causing problems since you walked through the door and I find it incredibly ironic that you of all people had my earrings in their hands... in their room, after the discussion we had this morning." She explains.

"Because I spent all day looking for them! I only had them in my hands because I went all around the house looking for them and I just so happened to stumble across your youngest with them in his hands. This is all just a misunderstanding." I say defensively.

She crosses her arms and analyzes me. I already know she doesn't believe me. She's been out to get me since I stepped foot in this house and honestly I'm over it. Clearly, I get no where by trying to play nice with her.

"I don't believe you." She says.

I bite my lip angrily and I anxiously tap my leg. I can feel myself start to get frustrated with the situation and fear that if I don't exit the situation that I might lose my cool. I know she wants a reaction. She wants me to play into being the bad guy, but I won't give her the satisfaction.

"Whatever. Believe what you want." I say bitterly as I stand up and head towards the door, but before I can exit she grabs my arm.

When she grabs my arm, the force pulls me back and causes me to fall into her a bit. Our faces are just inches away from each other as I tower over her. I keep a straight face and try to not let the scent of her perfume distract me.

I see her eyes dilate, possibly due to surprise of our current proximity as well as watch them travel down to my lips and then back to my eyes. She seems flustered and tries to quickly recover, but no matter how hard she tries... I know what I just saw.

"I'll be watching you." She says.

I'm assuming she's trying to intimidate me.

"I bet you will be." I say with a smug smirk as I pull my arm away and leave the room.

***

"Don't let it eat at you too much." Savannah says comfortingly.

After the altercation with Cami, I went to Savannah's room. I broke down the entire situation to Savannah, explaining how nuts her mom is and how exhausting she is to be around. Of course, none of this information is new to Savannah, but I think a part of her is happy that someone other than herself sees it.

"Ugh! But you don't get it. She irritates me. I am constantly being caught in bad positions and it really helps validating her whole, 'Rhea is bad' concept she's got going on in her delusional head." I say in frustration.

"But she doesn't know the Rhea that I know. I know you'd never do such a thing. Your heart is so pure that you even tried to look for those stupid earrings after how badly she's treated you," she starts. "You don't need my mom to like you, the people that care about you know your intentions are pure." She assures.

I don't know what I did to deserve Savannah. She's been my rock since she came into my life 9 months ago. She met me at a really broken time, I was just a few months out of a relationship, starting new at a place where I knew nobody, and she welcomed me with open arms despite knowing nothing about me.