Chapter Fifty-Six: Divorce

Cami's POV:

"Come on! We're running late!" I yell as I honk my horn obnoxiously outside of Naomi's house.

"Jesus, shit. Give me a minute!" She yells back, attempting to get her boot on as she hops down her steps.

I sigh as I watch her nearly bust her ass on the thin blanket of snow that accumulated this morning, trying to keep myself from growing impatient. We have a two hour drive ahead of us to get to my divorce attorney and this girl is taking her sweet time.

It's been nearly two weeks since Rhea went back to school and she's really turned things around... with my help. 

I thought she was kidding when she said she wasn't the scholarly type, but she isn't. It's not that she isn't smart, because she most definitely is... she just gets distracted easily and has a hard time focusing on the task at hand. So, I've taken it upon myself to call her every night, because I miss her and to tutor her. She listens to me and she's been able to turn around four out of five of her classes.

With us calling every night, we've been able to discuss a lot of our worries that we didn't have time to discuss when she was home. One of them being her schooling. After many long talks, we've decided that she's going to finish out this semester and then withdraw from all her classes next semester.

She doesn't have the desire to do schooling and she doesn't necessarily need it. She wants more time to be present for our relationship and what's to come. Plus, I also know she really wants some time in Massachusetts, with her mom, Dean, and Lena. She has work opportunities there that can keep her busy until the time comes that we can finally move and we've both agreed that we'd try to meet every other weekend at a hotel halfway in between to make sure we're still getting time together in person.

The distance hasn't been all bad, though I miss her like crazy. Phone sex isn't enough and there isn't enough texting in the world that compare to our in person banter.

"Okay, let's go." Naomi says, brushing the snow off her jacket as she gets into my car.

I quickly throw the car in reverse, pulling out of her drive way as fast as I can so we can get on the road. I'm a very punctual person and this is important. I don't want to be late.

"You nervous?" Naomi asks, her eyes observing my fingers anxiously tapping the steering wheel.

"Terrified." I admit.

Naomi reaches a hand over, slowly rubbing her thumb over my thigh, "everything is going to be okay. You have so many people here to support you. You need to get free, for both you and the kids."

I sigh as I try to relieve the tension being held within my body. All morning my body has been tense and filled with stress, I can hardly even breathe with the anxiety that consumes me. I know I'm doing the best thing I can do, I just wish it wasn't so hard and scary.

"Speaking of kids, how's Beck's therapy going?" Naomi asks.

My mom broke down the therapy situation to Rhea, explaining the insurance issues and the financials without telling me. At first I was mad she told her without consulting me, but Rhea took it upon herself to pay out of pocket for him to go. I tried to refuse her help, but she wouldn't let me. She cares about him and this is the only way she felt like she could help, since I don't want her directly involved in the divorce.

"Good. He's only gone once and they had him play with a sand box as they asked him a bunch of questions. It'll probably take some time for them to diagnose him with anything since he's so young, but at least he's got a place to go now and we can learn together." I explain.