Chapter Eleven: I Don't Think Marriage Should Be This Hard

Cami's POV:  🔞Slight NSFW Warning🔞

I can't be bothered to cook tonight, so I order pizza for the family and we have a movie night. I pass on the pizza, though and head straight for my wine bottle.

I take a big sigh before I take a sip straight from the bottle.

"Long day?" My mom asks as she enters the kitchen.

"Like you wouldn't believe." I say in a defeated tone.

"Parenting shit is hard." She says as she extends her hand for the bottle.

"Marriage is hard." I say as I hesitantly hand her the bottle.

"That's why I never married." She laughs.

"No, you just brought multiple men around me and gave me hardly any consistency or structure." I say in a cold tone.

She looks at me, a little hurt before saying, "Really, hummingbird? We were having a moment and you ruined it".

"Don't call me that." I say as I take my wine bottle back and take a giant gulp.

"Call you what?" My mom asks.

"Hummingbird." I state.

"But baby, hummingbirds stand for intelligence, beauty, and devotion. All things that you are. I've called you hummingbird your whole life." She says.

"Hummingbirds also signal that challenging times are over and I feel like I'm in the most challenging time of my life." I say as I put down the bottle of wine.

"A hummingbird just isn't me. I don't fit the nickname anymore." I say as I walk out of the kitchen, leaving her there.

I walk into the living room to see Graham and Savannah laying on some cushions on the floor. They're laughing at what's going on in the movie and it warms my heart to see them so happy. I then direct my gaze to the couch where Rhea is sitting, holding a passed out Beck. This also causes my heart to warm as well. He's so comfortable with her and she's so good with him. I wish I could have gave him a parent like her. Someone that was around and present.

Thinking like this causes my mood to dampen. I need to get to bed.

"Here, I'll take him." I say as I walk over to the couch to pick up Beck.

"I got it." She says.

I eye her, unsure if I should really make this her responsibility. It's not her kid, she shouldn't have to help out in the ways she does.

"I insist." She says as she gets up from the couch.

"I'll walk up with you." I say.

I kiss Graham on the forehead and gently rub Savannah's arm as I wish them goodnight and follow Rhea up the stairs. I try to keep my eyes from checking her ass out, but I don't have much self control and my eyes wander anyways.

We reach Beck's room and I open the door for them. She lays him down and tucks him in while I lay a kiss on his forehead. It's almost strange how mundane and normal it feels to put Beck to bed with her, something Ethan has never done with me.

We exit the room and both linger by the door. We both have questions lingering on the tips of our tongues... things we want to say, but we are both too afraid to ask.

I look up and my eyes meet her brown ones. I see her mouth open a few times before promptly closing it, never letting the words leave her mouth. I watch as she starts to fidget with her fingers, working up the courage to say what she's about to say.