Chapter 13 "Love that never was"

"There comes a time in your life when you have to choose to turn the page, write another book or simply close it

"There comes a time in your life when you have to choose to turn the page, write another book or simply close it."
Shannon L. Alder

The king was holding meetings with slave traders to find out which one of them to keep. Josephine sat next to Ivar, listening to their conversations.
"One of them is an excellent cook. Also she knows how to sew and in her previous household she took care of the children."
Something I won't need. Thought Josephine. Why would she? Ivar himself promised her no hairs.
"I'll make sure to check that for myself tomorrow. My slaves will show you to your chambers and we will re discuss the matters tomorrow morning. Now I'll go to rest. It was a long day."
With that Ivar finished the meeting and she tiptoed behind him.
Josephine could see that he was irritated and annoyed.
He invited her to his chamber for a glass of wine and she agreed. At the end of the day what could happen?
***
She woke up with Ivar's arm around her. He looked so peaceful when he slept and it was hard to wake him up.
They were just covered by thick duvet. No clothing on them.
It's hard to imagine how it has happened. Ivar himself was probably surprised as she was. Josephine never imagined loosing her virginity to a Viking, let alone in times where she shouldn't be alive.
She wondered what will happen now? Will this seal the relationship between Ivar and her? Or it would be the end of their love? Only time would tell.
***
The hall was quite dark, the only light being emited was from the fireplace.

''Who are you?'' Asks Ivar the strange woman. She's pretty, he admits to himself.

''I'm Fredyis my lord.''

Freya? He thinks to himself without speaking out loud.

''I hear you have the gift?''

''I do my lord...''

Her voice is interrupted by apperance of Hvitserek in the doorway.

''I'll continue with you later. You might go.''

Ivar tells her and a woman dissaperas from his sight.

''Yes brother?''

''You do realise your marriage has no right to be.''

''How come?''

''Josephine was raised in a chrisian country, by religious sister and her father is second in command to the pope.''

''What's that?''

''The head of Christians. People say their own God choose him.''

Ivar rolls his eyes.

''Josephine has been here for months and her sister didn't even show up her to check on her. Believe me when I tell you she does not care about her at all.''

Ivar's confidence made Hvitserek's blood boil.

''Last time I checked her sister is disgusted by us brother, maybe that's why she has not yet come to visit Josephine.''

''You have more to say? If not you can leave.''

Hvitserek left and made his way towards small hut at the end of Kattegat.

***

She woke up with a cold sweat running through her. The girl still could hear the screams of terror that appeared in her nightmare.
Something was wrong. Something was really wrong.
Looking at herself in a mirror she could see black circles under her eyes and how pale was her skin.
Josephine decided to wear a simple gown for her breakfast with Ivar.
However, when she entered his chamber he wasn't there.
"His majesty is in great hall my lady. He had some meetings to attend and couldn't break fast with you my lady."
"Thank you for letting me know. If the king will ask about my whereabouts, tell him that I went to see my friend."
With that she made her way towards Hvitserek's hut.
***
Ivar was more fascinated by the slave girl than he was by any other woman in his life. Neither Josephine or his mother had this kind of effect on him.
Thinking of Josephine didn't bring him joy anymore only annoyance.
Princess was honest with him, he didn't like honestly anymore. He wanted pretty lies that felt from Fredyis mouth.
"Tell me, my dear what do you see?"
She was more powerful than the seer. Ivar could feel it in his bones.
"You were chosen by Gods your majesty. Only you will be able to rule the entire world."
"And how do you think I will achieve this?"
"With me by your side."