Chapter 16 "I do's"

"I think about it and yet I know
I'll never be able to leave this cage
Even if the warden should let me go
I've lost the strength to fly away.
Forook Farrokhzad

For the dresses she was used to be wearing, her wedding  one was much more loose

It took them a month to organise everything and convince the bishop that Hvitserek was a Christian man.
Even though her bump wasn't that big, Giselle wanted Josephine to wear a loose dress to hide as much as possible.
Rollo didn't understand his wife and her decision about sending her sister and his nephew after the birth.
According to him Josephine and Hvitserek should stay in Paris and be closely watched. However all of his begging was ignored by his stubborn wife.
So here they were.
All of the court was witnessing the 'I do's.' Young princess exchanged with young prince she could never love the way he loves her. Hvitserek was Josephine's best friend. Only that.
She knew that this is one of the few moments, they will share together.
Josephine will never give him an offspring. She will never share his bed and she would never be able to see her child grow up.
The poor heart she got, it was slowly giving up. But Josephine couldn't tell it to him or her sister. Wanted to prolong the heartbreak for as long as possible.
***
The seer gave his finale prophecy before Ivar plunged him to death. His last words were.
"To meet in weird world."
The young and foolish king had no idea what was awaiting him.
He knew that seer was right. That he had a snake around himself but Ivar was confused.
Confused because he thought the snake did leave Kattegat already.
When he appeared back in his chamber, Fredyis was sleeping. She reeked of alcohol and sweat.
Was she supposed to drink while in this state?
Ivar couldn't tell. He felt emptiness inside him since Josephine left. He couldn't care less about Hvitserek but she left him and Ivar didn't know what to do.
***
Months were passing by, Josephine got used to share the same chamber as Hvitserek and to having a swollen belly. She could feel kicks from time to time.
It was middle of the night and she couldn't sleep. They were laying and talking, just like friends do.
"If it's a boy, you should name him Thor."
"I don't want to bury your hopes Hvitserek but a Nordic name won't pass in France."
"Alright so what do you think?"
"It's going to be a girl."
"How do you know that?"
"I just do."
"If you say so."
"Hvitserek can you promise me something?"
"Yes. Anything for you."
"If I don't make through the labour, will you raise my child like a real father?"
"Yes but nothing will happen to you. Women have given births for years and I don't know any who died in childbirth."
"I know just taking my chances."
"Josephine this won't be your child, it will be ours."
She just smiled at him. If only he knew.
***
Two different women. Similar circumstances. Two different lands. Different Gods. Children of two different fathers but they both started labour at the same time.
Hvitserek was outside the chamber watching people come out of it all the time.
Ivar was sitting not far away from her. Cup of wine as his only companion.
Hvitserek had Rollo next to him.
Josephine has Giselle holding her hand.
Ivar was alone and no one was near Fredyis.
One labour was hard, other was doing much better.
There were a lot of commotion in a palace when a young girl screamed.
"I want my husband."
He wasn't allowed around.
However he grabbed first midwife and shook her.
"Why is she in labour? It's too early. The child was convinced on our wedding night."
Hvitserek lied.
Then in both places at the same time, children's cries were heated.
One a girl, was healthy. Other a boy, wasn't.
One of the brothers was happy. The other wasn't.
"Gods chosen our son Ivar."
Deep down he knew they didn't.
"My girl my Mary."
Hvitserek smiled. Josephine looked tired but she was happy and his girls were both beautiful.
"Do you want to hold her?"
"I would love to."
Giselle watched them from afar.
How was she supposed to send them away. Her baby sister.
"I don't fell well."
"You just gave birth is natural."
"No Hvitserek I feel faint what's going on?"
Giselle quickly approached the bed her sister was laying on it.
She pulled the covers and sow blood everywhere.
"Call the medics. Now!"
At this point, young girl wasn't responding.
This was the end of her story.