Chapter 15 "Home"

"Seek home for rest, for home is best." — Thomas Tusser

Josephine smiled when she saw a land in front of her

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Josephine smiled when she saw a land in front of her.
'France.' She thought. Her home. But could she really call it home after leaving her heart in Norway? The girl wasn't so sure any more. Most important thing is that she's safe now and her friend is with her.
Josephine is not alone. For the first time in her life she felt like there was someone who will never leave her.
The journey was long and tiring so when she felt Giselle's arms around her, Josephine almost burst into tears. The girl didn't know if it was because she was exhausted or because she was sad.
Her sister held her close and allowed her to cry freely, not caring about the guards that were sending them curious glances.
Giselle told servants to prepare a bath for her little sister.
Then she help Josephine get out of her northern clothes and washed her.
Just like she did when Josie was little.
And after the quiet moment, Josephine fell asleep with her sister hugging her.
***
While looking at the church, Josephine felt guilt, her guilt becoming bigger the moment she entered church.
The whole mass was painful for the girl. She knew that something was wrong.
Was God real and he came to punish her? Or he made himself known by putting guilt into her.
Hvitserek wasn't there. Of course he wasn't. At the end of the day, he didn't believe in Christian god, last time she checked, Hvitserek didn't even believe in Nordic Gods.
"Tell me sister what happened?"
Giselle asked in a carriage ride back to the castle. She gave all the time Josephine needed but she had to know what happened in Norway.
"What do you want to know? That Ivar turned out to be the same person everyone warned me about? Or that he used me only to have closer claim to the crown of France?"
"There's more to it."
"I won't be able to marry anyone you choose. He took my honour."
Giselle looked terrified.
"Maybe not to the French lord but you never know as long as you bleed as normal, we can pretend that everything is right."
"Can we? Even know when I can feel a child in my womb?"
At these words, Giselle screamed.
***
Rollo, Giselle, Josephine and Hvitserek sat around the table, thinking of the situation they were now.
"I've heard there's this tea that can help you loose pregnancy." Giselle said after a moment of silence.
"Not a chance. I know you don't feel that northern pagans deserve to live but it's my child. Is part of me and part of him and I love him."
"What do you suspect we do then?!"
Older sister shouted at the younger one.
"If I can say something?"
Hvitserek offered.
"What?"
"I'll marry Josephine. I can convert to Christianity and then when the time for her to give birth is near we will say the baby was born quicker than anticipated. We will say the child was somehow born healthy. A sign from God as you Christians call it."
"That's actually not a bad idea Hvitserek."
"Thank you uncle."
"You want me to lie? In front of Vatican?"
"You have better choice? Josephine?"
"I agree."
"See wife, then it's sorted. I'll go find the bishop. Hvitserek go with me."
With that they left the chamber and Josephine and Giselle kept staring at each other.
"As if you couldn't embarrass father more. The faith more. Me more. How could you?"
"How was I supposted to know I'll get pregnant."
"That's what happen when you lay with a man. You are shocked this happened?"
"He told me he can't have children than he won't be able to give me an offspring."
"God's sake."
Giselle closed her eyes and exhaled loudly.
"Alright. I can't do anything else. You will marry Hvitserek, he will convert to Christianity, you will give birth to this child and then I'll send the three of you to spend the rest of your lives, away from the court, in some remote village. Do you understand?"
"Yes sister."
"Good. Now follow me we have a royal wedding to plan."
***
She was dressed in blue dress. The tradition of wearing a white won't happen for another thousand years. Hvitserek was dressed appropriately for Frankish lord and he was waiting for her in the church.
Rollo was leading her to him.
She could feel the small bump but the dress hide it well.
Josephine didn't want her life to come to it.
The girl didn't want to marry her best friend but she had no choice.
He smiled at her and Josephine knew he wanted to make her feel better. How could he though? She knew that somewhere in Norway, the one she truly loved was currently ruling bewitched by some danish slave.
Even centuries later, some kids will read a legend about a sad bride, who cursed the bloodline of Frankish kings and ended the Nordic rule over Europe.
^^^
Unedited chapter.
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
We coming to the end of the fan fiction. Four more chapter left.
I'm sorry it took me so long to finish it and I'm so sorry the newest chapters are not what they used to be. I just lost the motivation to write it. Maybe one day I'll come back to edit more of them.
For now I hope you won't hate me for the ending of another chapter and the ending of the fan fiction that I'll promise to publish at the end of the next week. Till next time.