Chapter 6 "The start of real journey."

"It's time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I'd much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure."
Ernie Harwell

"Ernie Harwell

The fact that Gisela was quiet for most of the dinner surprised Josephine

The fact that Gisela was quiet for most of the dinner surprised Josephine. Her "sister" was usually really talkative with the girl.
Something must have happened. But I'm too afraid to ask. Damn.
"Josephine can I ask you a question?"
Gisela said suddenly.
"Of course sister."
Said Josephine and took a sip of wine.
"Do you have a lover?"
Josephine was so surprised that she choked on the wine. Gisela quickly stood up and started hitting Josephine on her back.
"Did I surprised you?"
No way how could you tell?!
"Yes and to answer your question no I don't have a lover. How did you came up with this idea."
Gisela sat down again in her chair and said.
"I wanted to know if you have feelings for somebody because our father insists for you to be married off."
"Pardon?!"
The girl was so shocked that she couldn't move. In this moment of disbelieve, Gisela continued.
"Of course I told him is not the time,you are merely fifteen and you haven't bled yet. The only way for you to be married is for you to bleed."
"So I need to get my period for you to sell me off?"
Said Josephine but after the realisation hit her she put a hand over her mouth.
"P-What? And I won't be selling you. I will, with your help of course find a decent husband for you."
"Decent husband? Men are pretending to be decent until you don't marry them. What if he hits me?"
"Then it would mean that you weren't a good wife."
"What?! Do you hear yourself sister? Its okay for me to be beaten by husband."
"A wife who doesn't know her plac...."
"Oh shut up. I've had enough. I'm leaving!"
Said the girl and stood up. She made her way towards the door when Josephine heard Gisela.
"I haven't dismissed you!"
"I dismissed myself."
She said and left her sister's chamber.
Josephine was buzzing. Her whole body for shaking from anger.
"Beat me up?! Oh for fuck's sake."
"It's not the way ladies should speak."
The girl jumped from surprise. She turned around and saw Hvitserek.
"Also who wanted to beat you up?"
"I don't care about what ladies can and cannot that's first and second my future husband."
"Your future husband? Did he really laid his hands on you?"
Hvitserek said with anger in his voice.
"Don't worry I don't have a future husband yet but I was just dining with my sister when she mentioned for me soon to marry. Then she proceeded to tell me that if I won't listen to my husband he can beat me up."
"Wait really? So that Christian culture? In my we wouldn't allow it."
"What happens when a husband beats up his wife in your culture?"
"Well it doesn't end up well for him. You can even die for that."
Josephine smiled.
"I think I prefer your culture more than mine."
"Well I do like my better too. As I can see you are angry do you want to take a walk?"
"Yes that would be nice."
Hvitserek smiled and said.
"Let's go then. I have to show you something."
"Show me what?"
"Not telling you."
The whole walk was filled with laughter and funny stories of Hvitserek's childhood.
Josephine wished she could share some happy moments from her "past" life but she couldn't. The girl had no happy memories and she wasn't so sure how happy her childhood in this life was.
"This one time Sigurd was teasing Ivar so much that he almost got hit by Ivar's blade. Gods only know how this guy can throw."
"Hvitserek...who's Siguard?"
Josephine could see a moment of horror and realisations hitting the boy.
"My brother he sadly passed away not long ago."
The girl knew that he wasn't telling her the whole story but she didn't want to question him. He will tell me when he's ready.
"Oh I see my condolences. Hvitserek what did you mean when you said that Ivar can't walk and who can't he please?"
The boy was quiet for a moment.
"You will have to see it for your own eyes."
"I don't think this will happen my own sister won't allow me to go to Norway."
"You are your own person Josephine. You can make your own decisions and I know you aren't innocent Christian girl, I mean weren't you swearing just few moments ago?"
"I am my own person but the think is, I can't really leave. This is the only place I know and the only place where I feel, somehow safe. I don't think I could leave, bedsides what would I do in Kattegat?"
She asked him with a little smile on her face.
"Well you could always observe how the plan you proposed works out also, you can help me with convincing Ivar why this time he should listen to Christian."
He said.
"Is he stubborn?"
"Very and also very annoying. Even more than you."
"Oh shut up."
Said Josephine while she lightly punched him on his arm.
"Ouch woman, I'm a delicate man."
Hvitserek said while pretending to be hurt.
Josephine started laughing. For the first time in a while she laughed sincerely.
"Now you are mean, I'm in pain and you are laughing at me. Cruel woman."
"Stupid man."
She said and now it was Hvitserek turn to laugh.
"You never give up, you always have to win? Even in bickering?"
"Of course I have to I'm a stubborn person."
"You remaind me of someone."
"Who?"
"Not telling you. Come I have to show you this."
He walked her outside the castle and into the garden.
"Hvitserek I've been her before."
"No look at the moon."
"Why?"
"Is full."
Josephine looked up into the sky and was in awe.
The sky was full of stars, moon was full and shining bright.
"Wow I have never seen so many stars."
"You've never seen stars?"
"No I've seen them but not so many, the lights of buildings and skyscrapers and so many things make, seeing stars much more difficult."
"What?"
"Nothing, last time I saw so many stars was during camp in 10th grade."
"Josephine what are you talking about?"
"Just talking to myself. Why did you wanted to show me a full moon?"
"Dear Josephine you are blind to so many things. Let's get you inside, we both have long day ahead of us."
Hvitserek walked to her chamber and after wishing her "good night" he left. Josephine was so tired that she had no problems falling asleep.
***
For the whole day she was avoiding her sister. Even during the feast, Josephine never looked at her sister. Gisela, of course, tried to talk to stubborn Josephine but with each occasion the girl was escaping her. During the whole day and feast she had no time to talk to Hvitserek, however they did send each other comforting smiles from time to time.
Those three days went quickly by and soon Josephine was saying goodbye to Hvitserek.
"I'm going to miss you."
"I'm going to miss you too, Min venn *. I hope to see you soon in Kattegat."
"I doubt that will ever happen but I hope to see you soon too."
She said, he smiled at her and went into the ship.
Josephine was standing and watching Northman leave until she couldn't see any ship on the horizon, then she left and went into the cold castle. While walking next to Gisela's and Rollo's chamber she could hear her sisters screams. What this poor guy did this time?"
"No way I disagree!You really want to go back to those savage ways?! You want to leave our kids?! Leave me?! To go and visit?! What if you don't come back?!"
"I will come back woman! I just need to check out on my nephews! Their father is dead! I'm the closest family they have!"
After listening for a while,Josephine figured out that Rollo is going to Norway. Not caring about manners, she went into the chamber, surprising her sister and brother-in-law and said.
"I'm going with Rollo."
^^^
*me fienn=my friend
Our boy Ivar is coming next chapter, also so sorry for such a long break.