Chapter 2 "Northmen

"There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know."

Josephine was lying in bed

Josephine was lying in bed. She couldn't fall asleep. Not after all those information she received. Apparently, she's in France somewhere at the beginning of the 9th century and she's a princess. What else? She will have to marry into another royal family, get pregnant and she will probably die during childbirth because why not?!
"Yep, this is some joke. Some hidden camera".
"Gosh, she doesn't even have books in the room. I'm here for a few days and I'm already hating it".
Josephine slowly stood up from the bed. She was wearing a white long nightgown, as far as she was concerned she couldn't walk around wearing this because it was not appropriate.
"Oh my—- I'll can't tell them I'm an atheist"
Josephine said out loud and quickly covered her mouth with her hands. "What if somebody heard me?"
She thought.
"I remember from history lessons that they used to have spies all over the place back in the time. I only just got there and I'm going to die."
Suddenly the girl remembered something.
"Wait my so-called sister said her name was Gisela so if she's Gisela and this is early 9th century this means she's legendary Gisela of France daughter of Charles the Simple, if she's my sister then I'm his daughter too. Then who's my mother? And is she still alive?"
Josephine was talking to herself. Lots of thoughts were running in her head and she was surprised it didn't explode.
Then silent knocking could have been heard on her door.
"y-yes?"
"Aunt Josephine is me, William."
The mumbled voice of a small kid said behind the door. Josephine assumed it was Gisela's son.
"Oh come in darling ."
She said.
William opened the door to her chamber and approached her slowly. He was a cute, chubby kid. He looked to be around 8/9 years old.
William was hiding something behind his back.
"I have something for you auntie. I know you are feeling unwell and I know those are your favourites." William said and he gave her beautiful red tulips.
Josephine could feel tears in her eyes.
"t-thank you that's so sweet of you," she said on the edge of the tears.
"come here..."
She said while patting a place next to her on the bed.
"sit down or do you want to cuddle?"
"cuddle?"
He asked curiously.
"unh yeah cuddles are really great hugs and we can talk about everything you like"
"can we talk about Northmen? Did you ever meet a Northmen auntie besides dad?"
William asked after he climbed the bed and after he put the tulips at the table next to the bed.
"Northmen? Who's that? Your dad is one of them?"
"well yes, dad used to be one of them. They call themselves Vikings however. Dad baptized himself and became Christian, he married my mother and now he's here. Mummy is angry about dad because two years ago he went on a raid with his brother's sons."
"and your dad's name is?"
"Rollo his brother was Ragnar Lothbrok but you for sure knew that auntie Josephine everybody knows him."
Josephine was at lost for words. Not only she ended up in France she's also in the middle of a war between Ragnarsons.
She wasn't a fan of studying Vikings history but as far as she was concerned one of the sons will end up killing all of the brothers to claim the throne.* But which one it was?

^^^^^^^
* I changed a lot of historical facts in this fanfiction and it won't go according to the show
Our boy Hvitserek is coming next chapter!!!