chapter 3: it's nice to have a friend

Beginning of summer break
Wednesday's point of view

I only chose one of my clothes bags from the semester and took out the things that were specific to school, I didn't really pack or unpack.

Bye bye algebra volume II.

Even though I felt kind of lazy, I decided to pack some things that had been left here during the semester, such as some lighter tops for the summer, 3 pairs of shorts and a skirt or two. After all, Cousin Itt lived in California.
While I was choosing which pair of sunglasses I was going to bring with me, my phone rang. That morning, when I got up, I immediately went to the attic so I wouldn't forget it before leaving. At that point it lay on my desk and was moving with each vibration that came with the ringtone.

"Hi!"
"Good morning, Enid", I replied.
I put my phone on a shelf in my closet and put speaker mode on so I could continue to pack.
"How are you?"
"As per usual."
"So... Did you think about it? I know it's a completely different state and that you'll have to take the plane and-"
I remembered our conversation over text. At least three times she asked me if I wanted to spend the next week with her in San Francisco. Every time I kind of dodged the question because it's pretty far away from our manor, but since we were going to stay at Cousin Itt's in LA anyway, it didn't make any difference.
"Well actually, my whole family will be in Los Angeles for some time," I started to explain.
"Wait what?"
"It's a long story."
I didn't explain any further because I heard footsteps in the corridor. Probably one of the officers.
"I still have to ask my parents, though", I added.

"WEDNESDAY!"
It came from downstairs.

"Hold on a minute, my father is calling me," I said to Enid.
I got out of my room and leaned over the railing. Father was on the first floor and looked up in my direction.
"We've got a plane. We're leaving in thirty minutes."
"I'm almost finished, if Lurch could come help me with my bags..."
He nodded and headed to the living room.

"I'm back, but I can't talk for very long."
"Ow, okay. But so, you could come? My mother is asking because, you know, organization. My brothers are also inviting some friends over, so yeah, she's got some planning to do."
"Wait, I can ask my father now," I said as I put some things in a bag and threw it over my shoulder.
Just as I was about to leave my room, someone knocked on the door.
"Come in."
It was Lurch.
"If you can take this, this and the typewriter downstairs, please. Thank you, Lurch."
I quickly went down the stairs, put down my bag and searched for my father.
"I'll be right back," I said as I muted myself.
Luckily, I didn't have to look for a long time because he was still in the living room.
"Father, someone from school -Enid- asks if I want to spend some time at her house this summer. Can I? It's in San Francisco."
"So you've made a friend!"
I looked at him with a murderous gaze.
"For my part it's okay, but you'll have to ask your mother," he stated, "and I hope you will still spend some time with us. I feel like we haven't done family activities in years!"
I walked out the room a bit frustrated.
"AND?" she asked excitedly.
"Well, Father said yes but as long as Mother doesn't allow it that doesn't mean any-"
"SO IT'S BASICALLY A YES!"
"No, Enid, that's not what I—"
"It's gonna be so FUN! I can't wait!"
"Enid, I have to go now. I still have things left to do."
"Oh, okay, you'll text me when your plane lands, right?"
"You know we can still text while I'm on my way to the airport, right?"
"Oh yeah, right. Bye for now then!"
"Bye, Enid."

She was the one who hung up. The silence was loud, but I really had to get going so I decided to ignore that emptiness while I chose a book for during the flight. Thank goodness, I did my hair earlier that morning.
When I got downstairs, I saw that Lurch was still loading the car through one of the arrow-loops we didn't plug. I would have had the time to grab something to eat in the kitchen, but decided not to do it. I would eat something at the airport.