chapter 6: you told your family for a reason

Beginning of summer break, barbecue at the Sinclair's
Wednesday's point of view

"OH MY GOD YOU'RE FINALLY HERE!!"
We'd just knocked on the door of the Sinclairs' house and she had already opened the door and already rushed at us. At me. But she knew my boundaries and acknowledged them.
"Can I?" Enid asked, already opening her arms.
I nodded, knowing hugging me would make her happy. I still didn't get the concept, though. She didn't waste a second and immediately took me in her arms.
"I missed you so much," she whispered in my ear.
I felt my family's gaze burn in my back but decided to ignore it and even kind of hugged back by placing a hand on her shoulder. She only let go of me when Mother cleared her throat.
"Sorry," she said towards my family, "hi, Mr. and Mrs Addams and..."
"Pugsley," I finished for her, gesturing to him.
"I'm Enid," she said as she stuck her hand out.
My brother shook her hand with a smile.
"We met back on Wednesday's first day at Nevermore, remember? I'm glad to see you again!" she exclaimed when it was my parents' turn.
Mother smiled at her and took Enid's hand with both of hers. "Please, call me Morticia."
"And I'm Gomez," Father added, shaking her hand normally after Mother let go of it.
Enid nodded and there was this awkward three-second silence, before she moved to the side of the door.
"Oh, get in, get in," she smiled.
I followed last, so Enid and I were behind.
"You don't have bags?" she asked.
"Long story."
"I wanna hear it," she said while closing the door.
"My parents decided to stay here for the night to visit and stuff tomorrow, so they booked a hotel and it's in the same street as the station, so we made a stop there before getting in a taxi. Except we were kind of running late, so we kind of forgot my bags there. But Lurch will bring them tomorrow, Mother decided to give him some time off today."
She didn't say anything, she just nodded.
During that silence, I observed my environment. The walls of the corridor we were in were white and empty. I really thought I would see some family pictures, but there were none. On the right there was a staircase and under it there was a door. On the left there were two doors and at the end of the corridor there was another one. 
"I'm so happy you're here," was what she broke the silence with.
So was I. Not only because I was with her. Well, mostly sure, but the train and car rides were the worst, so finally being here was quite pleasing.
She led us through her house to the back door that led to their backyard.
Pugsley whistled in surprise. "That's... a lot of people!"
"I guess that explains why the taxi man couldn't find a single free spot in this street," Father commented.
"I mean, my family is quite big and we're all here so yeah..." Enid explained. "And you're early, so there will be even more people, they just haven't arrived yet."

She introduced us to almost everyone present. Lastly, she pointed at someone who was surrounded by a group of people.
"And this is my mom," Enid said, loud enough for her mother to hear, hoping she would get the hint and introduce herself.
She ignored her, too busy to talk to some older lady who nodded way too much at what she said.
"Anyway, you'll meet her later," she said, trying to hide her disappointment.
I wasn't going to let that pass, but before I could do anything, Mother reacted. She cleared her throat loudly enough for every person surrounding Mrs Sinclair to turn in our direction and stare at us.
"Morticia Addams, enchanted to meet you," she greeted, putting on a fake smile.
I could tell she didn't like Mrs Sinclair's attitude. She came closer to us, a tad embarrassed.
"You must be-"
"They're Wednesday's family", Enid helped.
"And Wednesday is?"
This could've been awkward but I could see how she was playing dumb, and so did Mother. A quick glance at her confirmed that. Pathetic.
Enid put her hand on my shoulder, I could feel how she was starting to lose her patience.
"Wednesday's staying here, remember? You literally asked me again yesterday!"
"Weren't you bringing that Ajax girl?"
I gave Enid a questioning look.
"So, you didn't tell us your name, Mrs Sinclair?" Father intervened, sensing the tension and knowing how his wife could react.
"Enid! Someone's at the door!" her brother called from inside the house.