186 | Never Running

"MASTER LEIGH, DINNER IS ready," Étienne calls out from outside Max's bedroom. Max, who was busy staring at his laptop screen, didn't even notice his butler calling out for him. He was too occupied reading articles about a particular heir named Jontell Rosario, a rank 4 member of Crème de la Crème who shares a surprising past with him.

     It has always been made clear that Max's past is hazy, but it wasn't entirely blank.

     Five years ago, Max lost his memories. This was the same year when Luna died. The gap between that accident and Max's appearance in J.S High is unknown to a lot of people, and it's a past that Max doesn't wish to share with anyone.

     During those five years, just before Max became a student at J.S High, Max was a rebellious child. He was always missing. He always argued with his father and his butler and met people from all walks of life. One of those people was Jontell Rosario.

     When Max was trying to look for his mother's killer, he would occasionally visit a bar despite being underage. Max had this empty void inside him, which was greatly caused by his amnesia, so he felt like he was alone in this big world. Looking for his mother's possible killer was his only purpose. It was the only thing that gave meaning to his life.

     During one of his visits to this particular bar, a boy with a strong presence sat beside him at the bar while Max was drinking. As soon as he sat down, the rest of the customers at the bar got up and chose a different seat. They didn't even want to sit close to him, but Max didn't mind.

     "One sazerac," the man said to the bartender, and the bartender—who cursed earlier after seeing him—nodded his head and tried his best not to fuck up the drink.

     While waiting for his drink, the man looked at Max and said, "I know you. You're the most recognized heir in the world who disappeared for two years just right after his mother's death."

     "That's oddly specific," Max answered, not even looking at him as he took a sip of his drink.

     The man laughed, but then he showed Max his hand and introduced himself. "My name is Jontell. It's nice to meet you."

      "I know who you are," Max replied, making Jontell put his hand down.

     "Here's your drink, sir," the bartender said, placing the glass in front of him. Jontell stared at the drink, making the bartender gulp in terror, but when he took a sip, he didn't say anything and just looked back at Max. "My family was invited to your mother's funeral, but after the bombing incident with the Stepanovs, we avoided the public. It's a shame, actually. I didn't get to see you there," Jontell then told him.

     "I wasn't able to attend it either," Max revealed before taking another sip of his drink. Jontell was surprised by the information but didn't try to show it.

     "Speaking of funerals, Matthew Cullen died last year, right? Were you not able to attend that too?" Jontell asked next, but this time, it was a question of clarification. He was testing something out, and Max's answer would make him certain of it.

     The question didn't come as a surprise to Max. In fact, he remained silent when he heard it. But after taking another sip of his drink, Max takes a deep breath and answers, "I'm not close with him. There is no reason for me to attend his funeral."

     Jontell was surprised as soon as he heard Max's answer, but he tried his best not to show it. Instead, he quickly looked away from the heir and took a sip of his drink as well. While doing so, he couldn't help but hide the grin on his face.