281 | Dangerous Waters

"WHEN YOUR BUTLER VISITED J.S High and looked for me, I was a bit surprised. I couldn't guess what he wanted, and even now that I'm here with you, I still don't know what this whole gimmick is about," River Karlsson, also known as Crazy 8's current Siren, says as he looks at Max who was casually taking a sip of his red wine.

     "Maybe you can give me a clue. It wouldn't hurt, would it?" River adds, and Max grins, glancing outside the window of the plane before turning to look back at River.

     "I can't tell you anything yet until we arrive at the destination, but what I can tell you is that we're meeting someone who you might want to have a little chat with," Max says, which only confuses the leader even more.

     "That did not answer a single question I have in my head, but nonetheless, I love the secrecy," River answers, making Max chuckle this time.

     "Oh, I know you do."

     Despite wanting to say so much to each other, River and Max were quiet the entire flight, minding their own business like they were strangers. Max wanted to ask how J.S High had been going but kept his mouth shut as much as possible, while River wanted to get an update from Max and his mission to get PHD back, but he also did his best not to interrogate the heir.

     This wasn't the time and place to chat about those things, and both of them knew that.

     When Max returns from St. George Academy, that's when they can start asking each other questions.

     "Gentlemen, we have landed in our destination. It is currently 7:15 P.M., and the weather is going to be a bit windy."

     After the five-hour flight, the plane finally landed. River wakes up from a well-deserved nap while Max, who was awake the entire time, occupied himself with a novel that Étienne conveniently packed for him before they parted with each other at the airport.

     "We're only staying here for a couple of hours. After we're done, we're heading back to London," Max explains as he and River step out of the plane, a ton of guards waiting for them outside to escort them.

     "Who are we meeting? The president?" River jokingly asks as the guards start inspecting his entire body. Max, on the other hand, shrugged his shoulder and grinned mischievously, making River shake his head at how ridiculous it was for him to be in an entirely different country that he didn't even know about.

     The two went through immigration like normal, and as soon as they were cleared, Max looked at River and finally revealed to him, "Well, I think there's no point hiding it now, but...welcome to Karlsruhe, Germany."

     River looks around and laughs at the absurdity.

     "If you're here to kill me in a foreign country I'd be very upset," River says as he and Max walk out of the airport.

     "Don't worry, you're one of my favourite protectors so I won't do such a thing. Just don't tell Krist and the others," Max answers back, and the two of them laugh together.

    "Germany, huh? I haven't been to Germany before, but we should definitely visit Berlin sometime. I've always wanted to see the Brandenburg Gate in person," River says, making Max nod his head in agreement since this is also his first time visiting the country.

     While the two were having a casual conversation with a dozen guards standing behind them, a black car finally arrived, parking right in front of them. Max and River wait on the side as a woman, probably in her fifties, steps out to greet the two of them with a bow. "Sir Sinclaire, it is a pleasure."