228 | New Era

MAX STARES AT THE food on his plate, his mind in a different place while his body sat still, making the people sitting around the table stare at him with worry and confusion.

     "Maximilian, your food will get cold," a low voice suddenly calls out, and Max finally snaps back to his senses, making him realize that he's actually in the dining room eating dinner with his brother Marcus and his father, Denzel.

     "My apologies. I've just been preoccupied lately," Max answers, glancing at his butler Étienne, before finally grabbing his fork and taking a bite of the steak on his plate.

     "Are you nervous that you're going to transfer to St. George Academy tomorrow?" Marcus asks him, and Max chuckles and shakes his head, dismissing the assumption.

     "No, not really. I'm just bumped out about the fact that I became Rank 5, yet no one knows about it besides my friends," Max answers, which was, in fact, true.

     The Elites only called out to him last week and suddenly announced that he was now the new Elites' School Representative. It should be a wondrous occasion, but unfortunately, President Ian and Sir Barron explained that this announcement must remain hidden for the time being. Of course, the white uniforms will eventually find out that Max was sent as a representative for the exchange program, but the Elites explained that they'll have to lie and tell them that Max is only sent as a suitable representative and not as the 5th highest ranking student of J.S High.

    The reason for such secrecy is still unknown, but for the time being, Heaven J. Carter, who is now supposedly ranked 6, will have to pretend like he's still the School Representative whether he likes it or not.

    "To be honest, I don't know why they're hiding it from everyone. The brotherhoods already know about it anyway," Marcus explains, and Max nods his head to agree to it.

    "But seriously, we should—" As Marcus continues his conversation with his little brother, their father, Denzel, suddenly clears his throat to catch their attention, instantly making the two of them stop talking.

    "I apologize, Father. Is there something you would like to say?" Marcus asks, while Max just ignores him while taking a bite of his mashed potato.

     "The company's 332nd anniversary will be on the 31st of March. I want you both to be there as we will be inviting important guests. Especially you, Maximilian. As the heir, you must properly converse with the major families. It's important that you keep a good relationship with them for future transactions," Denzel suddenly explains, almost making Max laugh because it was only two months ago when Denzel announced that he renounced his title as his heir, and now they're all acting like all that never happened.

     "If it's keeping a good relationship with people, then there's no need for you to worry about it. I'm good at being kind, unlike others," Max answers, and Denzel instantly looks at him seriously.

     "I'm not starting any unnecessary argument with you," Denzel tells him, making Max chuckle.

     "Of course, my apologies. I was just teasing," Max says, and Marcus kicks his leg under his table, finally making Max stop with the sarcasm.

     Max kicks Marcus's leg as payback before clearing his throat and looking back at Denzel. "I already asked Étienne for the master list and invited a few more companies to attend. I've also talked with the general manager of our hotel in Campion and coordinated with the organizers. I know someone who can help with the food and beverages, so I hope you don't mind that I handled it on your behalf," Max explains, surprising Denzel while Marcus smiles at him proudly.