Chapter 12: "She's right, she's not a dog."

Anna

Tonight, I realized that I have started doing more stupid things since coming here.

Like, which sister even follows their rudest older brother late night after dinner?

Somewhere deep inside, I knew what I was doing could be dangerous and as no one in the house knows where I would be going, it could all end badly. But I was a curious kid, and I wanted to see more of this town.

But when Travis tucked me in for the night, I realized another thing. That even if I did fell asleep, the nightmares were going to wake me up in an hour to two.

Travis did asked me if I wanted to sleep in his room, but I typed something in the lines of I can't always keep doing that, and proceeded to act like I was very sleepy.

It was just a guess from my side that Logan would sneak out tonight. When he slept in the living room earlier, and Justin said that it will just trouble him to fall asleep at night, I understood that's the reason why he was sleeping then.

Once Travis left my room, I gave it 2 minutes, then got up and moved towards my bedroom door. Checking the hallway once, I got out and walked towards Logan's door.

I could still hear someone moving inside, which meant he hadn't left yet. I tiptoed back to my room, grabbed a dark blue hoodie and black joggers from my still empty closet and got ready. Tying my shoulder-length hair up in a bun, I puffed up some of the pillows and put them under my mattress so it looked like I was sleeping under them. Then I grabbed Oliver's old phone and stood near my window seat to look out at the driveway.

In just a minute, I saw a silhouette moving towards the main gate, and quickly went downstairs to follow him. Voices were coming in from the kitchen, and I registered them to be Justin and Lucas, so I slowly crept towards the living room and unlocked the back patio doors. Once I had slowly slid the door back in place, hoping no one would check the lock, I slipped my black shoes on which I had carried with me.

But before I could make my way to the front side, I noticed a pair of eyes staring at me through the patio doors glass.

Buster was waving his tail at me and giving me those innocent eyes he knew would have me sliding open the door again. He even had his leash in his mouth and once he was standing beside me, I closed the door and took the leash to have him follow me.

Now as I already knew 2 of my brothers were in the kitchen, I quickly made my way towards the front gate by walking over the garden patch. I still checked Oliver's window once, but his curtains were drawn so I sighed in relief.

Once I was standing besides the gates, it dawned on me that I didn't even knew how to operate them. Not to forget, there was a high chance that the security system will ping everyone inside that even the small gate was opening.

But Buster seemed to understand my problem, because he tugged on the leash and started pulling me towards some thick bushes on one side of the gates. He then went around the bush, and I noticed an opening that I could use to crawl through. There was a small wooden door attached to the hinges on the brick wall and I could also see a latch to secure the door from inside.

The dog looked at me once, and went inside the opening. I followed him in too, getting on my knees and hands.

The bush wasn't itchy or anything, and it felt cold inside it. Buster kept walking and then we were once again in open air.

But it was on the other side of the compound wall.

The opening in the bush was hidden behind some big rocks, and it was impossible to find it if one doesn't know where to look.