2.1 • Maiden in Mustard

Nawaz Shah had married Naghma Zuberi at the age of twenty-five. However, two years later, Naghma Zuberi died at a young age due to a prolonged illness. Later, he married Hareem Begum who gave him two daughters, Hoorain and Hooriya.

Nawaz Shah loved his both daughters. However, the sad part was that none of them was interested in his business.

“Why don't you get Hoorain married to a businessman? Someone capable enough to take over your business.” Hareem Begum once suggested to him.

The very next morning, he called Hoorain into his study room and asked her,“Hoorain, do you like someone?”

Hoorain chuckled at his question,“No, Baba, I don't.”

“Beta, I want you to marry someone who can take over my business.” He spoke honestly.

“Baba, I have no problem with it.” She smiled.

Nawaz Shah smiled at his daughter. And since then he was trying to find a perfect son-in-law for himself. Someone who could take his company to success but also keep his daughter happy. However, it was hard to find both the qualities in one man. Until one day he met his late first wife's brother at a business party.

“Altamash Zuberi, what a surprise!” He exclaimed seeing his brother-in-law after such a long time.

“Nawaz Shah, you have grown fat.” Altamash Zuberi joked while hugging him.

“How are everyone in the family?” He asked.

“Ammi Jaan passed away two years ago. My daughter Ramsha got married last year. And my son Shahmir is going to take over the company very soon.” Altamash Zuberi told him.

Nawaz Shah's eyes twinkled at Shahmir's mention.

“Umm, Altamash, is Shahmir married?” He asked.

“No, my wife is looking for a bride but no one has succeeded in getting an approval from him.”

“Ah, see I won't beat around the bushes. I am looking for a boy for my elder daughter Hoorain. Is it possible that-” But he was cut off by an excited Altamash Zuberi.

“I understood! I have no problem! I am coming to your home, umm, this Sunday with my son. They can meet each other and rest is upto them.”

“Great!” Nawaz Shah smiled excitedly and both of them hugged each other before parting ways.

✨✨✨

Sunday came earlier than expected. That morning Hoorain was getting ready to meet the heir of Zuberi family.

“Shahmir Zuberi.”

She had searched his name on the internet. His social media accounts showed in results. His Instagram page was filled with motivational quotes, political memes and pictures from his sister's wedding. There were a few reels in which he and his sister were lipsing on a song together. And then there was a picture where he was sitting beside his grandmother. The captain said‘Miss you.’

He seemed fun-loving and easy-going through his social media posts. She just hoped it wasn't a facade like most social media accounts.

She put down her phone on the dressing table and looked at her reflection in the mirror. She didn't bother using makeup. There was no need for that. Her dimples and cute smile were enough to make someone fall in love with her.

She adjusted her mustard dupatta and made sure that the knot of her kameez's back was tied tightly. Hoorain huffed a sigh before exiting her bedroom only to crash into her sister Hooriya.

“Aapi, he is so handsome. Just refuse. I want to marry him, yaar!” Hooriya said with excitement, but she was only joking.

“Okay, I will tell your fiance about your decision.” Hoorain teased her.