5.2 • Cricketer In Distress

“Are you sure you'd be able to play with a fractured arm?” Adarsh asked Kunal eyeing his plastered right arm.

“It's a minor injury. I'll play.” Kunal replied.

“Now that's upto Payali's report if you would be allowed to play or not.”

Kunal had nothing to reply. It was true. And he was afraid of the reports.

“Kunal and Adarsh, both of you have been called to coach's office.” A fellow player informed them and left.

Kunal and Adarsh shared a look before going to the coach's office.

💖💖💖

“Kunal, according to Dr Bhonsle's report, if you played this match, you won't be able to play ever again. You are unfit. So it would be better if you take rest for few weeks and recover from the fracture.” His coach told him.

“But I am the team captain.” Kunal tried to protest.

“But your health is more important than your captaincy. Don't ruin your career in this stubbornness.” 

Kunal nodded dejectedly.

“And for this particular match, Adarsh will be the team's captain.”

Adarsh gasped at this piece of information.

“Kunal bro, sorry to say but I'm glad you fractured your arm. At least, I got the opportunity to lead the team for a match.” Adarsh rejoiced.

“Adarsh, it's an India versus Pakistan match. Agar haar gaye toh pura India hamein juttiya marega.” Kunal warned his overexcited friend.

(If we lost entire India will beat us with sandals.)

“No worries, bro. Even if we lost I'll make a reel with Indian team and Pakistani team together. Yeh mai hoon, yeh mere friends hai aur hum party kar rahein hai.” Adarsh exclaimed.

(This is me, these are my friends and we are partying.)

“Coach, I'm telling you we'll lose this match.” Kunal warned his coach.

“Kunal, trust your friend.”

💖💖💖

Two days later, Payali was sitting in a local cafe and waiting for Kunal. Adarsh had requested her again and again to meet Kunal and make him understand why he shouldn't feel upset for not playing the upcoming match. At last, she had to agree and there she was waiting for his majesty Kunal Banga to grace her with his honourable presence.

Kunal reached the cafe thirty minutes late and was wearing a baseball cap, sunglasses, and a mask to not get recognised by anyone.

“Hey.” He sat down before her who looked at him in confusion before realising that it was Kunal.

“Why are you dressed like a stalker?” She asked pointing at his all black attire, sunglasses, cap, and mask.

“To not get stalked by anyone.” He replied simply.

“Wait, cricketers too get stalked?” Payali asked in astonishment.

“Yeah, as much as any Bollywood actor.” He shrugged and continued, “Why did you call me here?”

“Umm... well, Adarsh insisted me on calling you. Because you were upset about not being able to play the upcoming match.”

“Oh, please. I was upset earlier but now I'm okay with it. I'm only worried because it's the first time Adarsh will be leading the team. And let's be honest, he is a good bowler and batsman but he isn't a leader.”

“Then what? It's just one match. It won't make any difference if the team lose or win.”

“Dr Payali, it's an India versus Pakistan match to shout out loud. If we lost the match, we'll be trolled on social media for days and will be declared traitors by the public.”

“Nonsense. Why do you even care what people say?”

“I can't ignore their words. Whether it's their praises or trolls, it can't be ignored.”

“Then be ready to get trolled for no reasons. Oh, I forgot to make an order. What would you like to have?”

“Green tea.”

“Waiter,”She waved at a waiter who came to their table and Payali placed their order,“one green tea and one coffee.”

“Hey, is that Kunal Banga!?” They heard a very overexcited voice from a nearby table.

Kunal got alarmed,“Payali, are you wearing heels?”  He asked.

“No, I'm wearing shoes.” She replied in her confusion.

“Then run!” He held her wrist and ran outside the cafe, dodging that crazy fan.

“Where's my car?” He cried in frustration when he couldn't find his car at its parking spot.

“Kunal, there's a No Parking board here. Traffic police took it for sure.” Payali told him calmly.

Kunal's face resembled a crybaby when he pulled off the cap, sunglasses and mask.

“Then drop me home.” He wasn't requesting. He was telling her.

Payali gave him a weird look before nodding and gesture him to follow her.

In the next five minutes, both of them were in the middle of Mumbai's horrifying traffic, sitting on Payali's blue Activa. Whenever Payali would stop the Activa on traffic signals, people on the vehicles around them would ask Kunal for a selfie. Poor Kunal would have to agree or he will be tagged rude by the public. Only he knew how he was stopping himself from shouting.

“Isn't it irritating for you?” Payali asked, while adjusting the helmet on her head.

“It is, but what can I do?”

“You are a human, not a monument. You can refuse.”

“That's not how it works, Dr Payali Bhonsle. Celebrities are a public property for them.”

“That doesn't justify their intrusion into your life.”

“You can't understand it. My home's just a mile away.”

Payali wanted to say something. But he was right. She cannot understand his situation. She wasn't a celebrity. Not just yet. But who knew that would change the very next morning.

•••

Now I'm enjoying this story.
🤗🤗🤗

Question: Do you think recording or clicking celebrities without their consent should be declared an offense?

My opinion: Yes, because they are not public property.

•••

Thoughts 💭

Desi Fairytales | fin.On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara