3.2 • The Exhibition

Zayan was homeschooled. He didn't attend school after the age of seven when his mental health began to worsen. So he never got chance to make friends. His father and brother were his only friends. And of course, his white cat whom he named Hoor jokingly. So he had spent a lot time home, playing with his cat and pursuing various hobbies. But painting was his favourite. So he chose to pursue fine arts.

And at that moment he felt proud of himself when people were admiring his art pieces in the art gallery. The exhibition was a success. An old patron had bought his painting for one million rupees.

But a certain girl caught his attention. She looked like her, the girl who saved him. She was wearing a pale yellow dress, her dupatta was clinging around her neck and her long jet black hair kept open. He walked to her and caught her attention, “Excuse me, miss.”

She turned around and yes, it was her. Her eyes widened in recognition,“Hello, Mr Zayan, good to see you healthy and fit. Oh, I don't think you remember me.” She smiled and shook her head.

“No, I do. I wasn't exactly unconscious.” He was looking at her with much concentration. Zayan was taking in her beautiful features, not wanting to forget them again.

“Oh, I hope the injury is healing well.” She pointed at the bandage on his head.

“It's healing.” He nodded, “Why were you carrying a gun that night?”  It's been five weeks to that night. But he was still curious about her reason to carry a gun with herself. Though it was obvious. Safety.

“Actually, I always carry a gun with myself whenever I travel at night. For safety purpose.”

“Oh, it just seemed unusual. I mean, it's not America were people carry guns everywhere.”

“Right. By the way, that painting had signature of Zayan Shabbir at it's bottom. Are you the artist?” She pointed at the painting hanging on the well. It was depicting a stormy night.

“Yes, it's my work of art and some seven other paintings too.”

“Hmm, interesting. You do look like an artist.” Her remark made him smile.

“What's your profession though?” He asked.

“I have a degree in Home Science and write articles for magazines. Otherwise, I am my elder sister's nanny.” She joked at the end. But she was being honest. She really was Hoorain's nanny in some sense.

“Oh, great. I think we will make nice friends.” He put forward his hand for a handshake.

“I think so as well.”  She accepted the handshake with a friendly smile.

“Hooriya...” They heard a voice.

A guy came and stood next to her. Zayan realised that he hadn't asked for her name. But she had a nice name. Quite similar to his pet cat's.

“Zayan, meet my cousin Rizwan Shah. And Rizwan, he is Zayan Shabbir.” Hooriya introduced them to each other.

“Nice to meet you, Mr Zayan. But, Hooriya, how do you know him?” Rizwan asked her but Zayan replied to him.

“She saved me... in a car accident few weeks ago.”

“We met just today after that night.” Hooriya added.

“Alright.” Rizwan nodded in understanding.

“Umm, I should take my leave. Nice to meet you, Hooriya. And Rizwan.” He smiled walked away. He really wanted to exchange numbers with her but her nosey cousin interrupted them. And he wasn't getting good vibes from that Rizwan.