7.3 • Lies, Lies, Lies

Maya was sitting in the living room surrounded by the family members. Her eyes were lowered in embarrassment and defeat. Mahir was holding the laxative tablets that Maheer found in Maya's cupboard.

“Maya, why are you taking laxatives again?” Hooriya asked her angrily. Zayan gestured her to calm down and sat down beside Maya.

“Maya, is there something bothering you?” He asked her softly. Her eyes were teary and red by then.

“I... I feel like I'm getting fat.”

That was the reason she gave when they had first discovered about her eating disorder accidentally when Maheer had found her purging out the dinner one night. They have very careful around her since then. She even attended psychiatric sessions to improve her mental health. And the reason for why she had to go through all of this was Aleena, that popular girl of school who found it entertaining to bully her for being chubby. How could she not hate her?

💓💓💓

Aleena had sent back the engagement ring. Mahir was sitting in Maya's bedroom and keeping an eye on her. She was eating the Shawarma he had brought for her and Maheer. And he wanted to make sure she doesn't purge it after eating.

When she finished the Shawarma, she asked him bring a glass of water for her which he refused to do fearing she will purge the food in the meantime. Maya was quiet after that.

“Mahir, why did you... broke the engagement when you claimed to love Aleena?” She asked hesitantly.

Mahir thought for long moments before replying, “I don't have a clear-cut answer. It's complicated. You won't understand.”

“I am the one had complicated it. Of course, I will understand.”

“Love is an overrated concept, Maya. And marrying Aleena meant distancing myself from this house, you and maybe the entire family. I am not ready to pay that price for love.”

Maya smiled sadly. She pulled out her phone and played a phone recording.

“Hello.” It was her voice.

“How dare you break my engagement!” It was Aleena's voice.

“Aleena? Listen, I didn't force him to do it.”

“Oh, please, Maya! Do you think I'm a fathead like you? You are taking revenge on me, right? Guess what? I don't regret any of that.”

“So you lied to Mahir... that you've changed.”

“Yes, I did. You know what, you deserved it. You've always been a selfish bitch.”

Maya chuckled, “I was right. You don't deserve, Mahir. Now I'm even more glad that he broke the engagement. I don't have the energy to hear your rubbish anymore. Goodbye.”

And the recording ended.

Mahir looked up at her face. He was both shocked and disappointed.

“She didn't regret it, Mahir. She thinks I deserved to be bullied.” A tear escaped her eyes.

Mahir quickly wiped the lone tear and pulled her in for a hug.

“You deserved none of it, Maya.” He consoled her, “You are beautiful. Don't hurt yourself again. Don't take her words seriously.”

“Mahir...” She mumbled his name softly against his chest.

“Yes, Maya?” He patted her hair.

“I love you.” And she tightened her arms around him. Mahir didn't reply anything. He had nothing to say. He just kept quiet and caressed her hair. Soon Maya fell asleep in his arms. Mahir made her get laid on the bed and left the room.

💓💓💓

The next morning, when everyone was eating their breakfast, Maheen cleared her throat and announced, “I have bought three tickets of a flight to Kullu Manali for the kids.”

Maheer beamed at her mother's announcement while Mahir and Maya hardly reacted.

“Three of you will take a flight tomorrow morning. Once you land on the Kullu Manali Airport, take a cab to Kasol. It's one of the least visited hill stations in Himachal. Spending few days in that quiet and peaceful village will detox your minds.”

Mahir and Maya both were about to give excuses to not go there but Maheen added, “I am not going to hear a no.”

Maheer ran to her bedroom after finishing her breakfast to get her stuff packed. While Maheen and Hooriya packed Mahir and Maya's suitcases.

💓💓💓

Mahir, Maya and Maheer boarded the flight next morning and landed on Kullu Manali Airport. They took a cab to Kasol but midway Maya began to feel unwell. The cab was stopped and Maya ended up vomitting on the roadside.

“Maya, are you feeling well now?” Mahir asked her while passing her the water bottle. Maya nodded while gulping down the liquid.

A while later, they stopped at a Dhaba to eat something and by something they meant tea and Maggi. Mahir was carefully observing Maya's expressions. There was a slight hesitation on her face looking at the bowl of instant noodles but she ate it nonetheless. She didn't even made an excuse to leave to get a chance to purge the food from her system. Mahir was relieved to see that this time her eating disorder wasn't as serious as the previous time. With a newfound relief he enjoyed his tea with Maggi noodles.

“Maya, let's take some pictures.” Maheer pulled out her phone began taking selfies with Maya and Mahir. And immediately send them to her parents and uncle aunty to assure them that Maya was doing well.

“I want one more bowl of Maggi. Should I bring some for you girls too?” Mahir asked them.

“For me.” Maya smiled. She didn't want another bowl full of calories. But she knew Mahir was observing her behaviour. And she wanted to try to act normal even though her mind was constantly telling her to not eat more. Mahir brought another Maggi for her. But she could hardly eat five spoons and Mahir finished the rest.

“Maya, don't force yourself to eat more just to impress me. That's not good either.” Mahir told her before they entered the guesthouse they had booked online. And to not make her feel embarassed or sad, he pulled her cheek.

And Maya got confused if she should be sad or not. He scolded her but he also pulled her cheeks. So she decided to eat chocolate instead. At least, now calories seemed less scary to her.

•••

Yesterday a reader messaged me that after reading my books she thinks I'm a mature person and she shared her problem with me.

These are the moments when I feel like it's worth writing responsibly. Others tell their reader about the hate messages they received, I've never got one till now.

•••

Question: Do you love or hate Maya?

•••

And the story hasn't finished yet. One more chapter left.