Take no Chances

Cirrus was keeping watch on Daphnie in the hallways at night, using his levitation power. He had already taken a sip from a tiny vial he had fished out of his pocket, going completely invisible. He produced a tiny thump sound on the ceiling as he hovered. This didn't bother anyone as mansions are old and can make random thumps at times.

The dark aura around her was surrounding her and feeding off her life force. With the magic blade in one hand and pyro magic in the other, Cirrus got ready. Cirrus levitated closer to the entity, intending to stab it away from the knight. Thinking he was safe, he moved closer, but the demoguine suddenly turned its hideous head in his direction.

Seriously?! I don't get paid enough for this...

The demoguine spotted him and extended itself to reach out to him, making Daphnie turn around and look up. She saw nothing until Cirrus's left leg had been swarmed by the aura and the invisibility potion stopped working since he was injured.

Daphnie immediately displayed hostility and drew her sword, lunging towards Cirrus who was being pulled closer to the knight by his leg. Anyone without the proper tools would attempt to claw at the aura, however their hands will only pass through. This is because the enemy is formless. With the proper tools, they can be injured and even killed.

Cirrus put some of his mana into the hilt and stabbed forward, aiming for the eyes of the demoguine. The entity was stabbed through the head, screaming as it was injured—but unfortunately not dead. Black liquid began seeping from the wound and spread onto the carpet beneath it.

High pitched screams filled the hallways and some servants came running to see what was going on. Before the demoguine could recollect himself, Cirrus took no chances and stabbed him again and again and spamming the fireball skill whenever his form was revealing itself. Slowly and steadily, the entity was dying. Daphnie stopped her hostility and threw her sword at the demoguine at the same time as the magic sword stabbed its chest, dealing the final blow as an act of revenge.

The entity died and vanished into the air, dropping the knight's sword in the process.

Daphnie's shoulder was no longer heavy and she proceeded to faint from exhaustion.

"Daphnie!"

The Baron entered the scene and quickly ran to her aid, shouting at a maid to quickly get a doctor.

---

"This was why I didn't want my husband to know..."

The Count was actually listening in on the conversation outside the door, which didn't go unnoticed by Maeus. He raised his eyebrow.

"Come in, Count. There are lots of important things that need to be said," Maeus waved his hand to invite Niklas into the room. Aurore audibly gasped and then sighed, her face in her palm.

Niklas stepped in, bowing to both you and the prince before being invited to sit down by the prince. Niklas was listening in from the beginning—Aurore didn't even bother to ask how much he heard and already assumed he heard everything.

"Aurore..."

The Countess didn't take her hand away from her face until you told her it was alright. From the letters written, Niklas isn't the type to abandon his wife or mistreat her in any way. He seemed like a very kind, patient, and understanding man.

Sibbi was fast asleep.

He took her hands into his and held them tight.

"I knew... I already knew that Sibbi doesn't have my blood. But I didn't want anything to happen to you. I didn't want anyone to think lowly of you because in society, women are always blamed for being barren if no children are born. To me, Sibbi is still our son no matter who the father is," He kissed her hands and Aurore broke her noble demeanor. Tears formed and fell from her eyes.