4

A while later, it was raining and Evelyn decided to see if her new spell would work. The rain pounded mercilessly against the courtyard as Evelyn walked out into the middle. Theoretically, according to the book, she should be able to cast a shield and if she'd done it correctly, it should stop the rain. Theoretically.

"Let's see," Evelyn muttered to herself as she quickly began to get wet in the rain. She pulled a gemstone from her pouch and let it hover between her hands as she pulled magic right out of the air to be channeled into the gemstone. It started spinning and glowing, which meant it was slowly getting enough magic to power it. When it was spinning fast enough that the sharp hexagonal gem had transformed into a smooth sphere, she cast it up above her head. She pulled her hands apart, causing a spherical shield to form around her, spinning around slowly with the gem as it's highest point. The rain indeed stopped soaking her, causing Evelyn to let out a surprised chuckle. She had tried it a few times indoors but this was the first time she tried it outside. She felt the magic hum in her bones, warming her up and looked around to see Wednesday looking back at her with a blank expression. Then she looked up suddenly. Evelyn followed her gaze to see the gargoyle inching forward. Without thinking, she compressed her magic into the gemstone and sent it hurdling across the courtyard just as Xavier tackled her. The gem collided with the statue, making it explode into shards of stone. She rushed over, looking over Xavier's shoulder to see her unconscious.

"Gosh, Thorpe, if you were going to save her life you should've kept her conscious to see it," Evelyn muttered, watching Xavier pick up Wednesday. He grimaced.

"Wasn't intentional, Dolce. Now why don't you go back to Bianca," he replied, beginning to walk to the infirmary.

"Xavier, you broke her heart. She's my friend. I had to be there for her," Evelyn reasoned, walking alongside him. He just scoffed and set Wednesday down on a nearby bed, taking a seat beside her.

"And what about me? We used to be best friends and now we're just..." He gestured to the space between them and sighed. "You only talk to me when I approach you."

With that, he stood up to find the nurse. Evelyn looked down at the girl. If Evelyn hadn't seen her get tackled, she'd be half-convinced she was dead. A few minutes later, Xavier returned and stood creepily over Wednesday until she opened her eyes.

"Welcome back," he said, smiling slightly.

"Might want to slow down. You took a bad fall," Evelyn said, leaning against the wall as she spun one of her gemstones between her fingers.

"The nurse said you don't have a concussion but you probably have a nasty bump, huh?" Xavier said, rubbing his knee nervously.

"The last thing I remember was walking outside feeling a mixture of rage, pity, and self-disgust," she paused and looked at Evelyn. "I've never felt that way before."

"Losing to Bianca has that effect on people," Xavier shrugged, looking up at Evelyn.

"It does indeed. Not quite to your extent but it never stops stinging," Evelyn sighed, rubbing her arm where Bianca had managed to land a particularly harsh blow.

"Then Evelyn—Then I looked up and saw the gargoyle and thought, 'At least I'll have an imaginative death'. But then you tackled me away," she turned to Evelyn. "And you blew up the gargoyle. Why?"

Xavier answered first, clicking his tongue against the roof of his mouth before saying, "Call it instinct."

To which Evelyn immediately followed up with, "Call it 'being a decent person'."

"So you were guided by latent chivalry. A tool of the patriarchy to extract my undying gratitude," Wednesday said, barely pausing after Xavier's response.

"Hey, your next destination was about to be a coffin so forgive us for wanting to prevent that," Evelyn retorted sharply, her eyes narrowing into a glare at Wednesday.

"Most people just say 'thank you'," Xavier added, shrugging.

"I didn't want to be rescued."

"What, so we should've just let it squish you to mush?" Xavier asked incredulously.

"I'd rather have saved myself," Wednesday snapped. Evelyn was taken aback as she thought the girl would've been glad to be alive.

"I—can't you just take it for what it is? If not friends then classmates trying to help you? Honestly, Wednesday. I'm going," Evelyn scoffed, walking out of the infirmary, ignoring the rain as she trailed muddy footprints all the way up to her lab to blow something up. 

Just to clear it up, Evelyn's magic comes from within 'her' if that makes sense. Like how demigods have their own sets of abilities.