13

The door to her lab was exciting as always as she walked in to continue working on her project. She'd figured out explosives last semester after many apologies to Weems so now she was just trying to harness the destructive power. She pulled her welding glasses over her eyes as she looked over her blueprints. So far, she'd designed a gauntlet of sorts where she could shoot shards of exploded gems at the monster if she needed to face it again. She, however, couldn't get Wednesday out of her head. There was always something so alluring about her. Something so mysterious and untouchable.

"Thinking hard?" Bianca asked, startling Evelyn as she hadn't heard her enter.

"Getting brain rot, more like," Evelyn replied, sighing heavily as she had hit a roadblock. "How are your Poe Cup preparations?"

"Almost done, actually," Bianca replied, nonchalantly picking at whatever scum was beneath her nails.

"Hm. Good luck," Evelyn said, continuing to tinker with her machine.

"As if I'll need it," Bianca snorted, then nodded at a jar of honey sitting in a random bowl. "What's with the honey?"

"I've been meaning to ask you about that. Which one of your Scales hit that ridiculous high note and ruined Eugene's honey?" Evelyn threw down her goggles and went for her cup of tea.

"Wasn't me. I'd guess it'd be Wednesday," Bianca shrugged, going to grab herself a cup of tea.

"Of course you would," Evelyn pinched the bridge of her nose. "What's your problem with her?"

"She thinks she's better than everyone else." Bianca rolled her eyes as if the notion itself were stupid.

Evelyn paused, a sudden realisation coming to her. "You feel threatened. She makes you insecure. That's why you're acting like this!"

"Wednesday Addams does not threaten me. If anything, she's so cocky," Bianca retorted but Evelyn had known her long enough to know that Bianca was covering for herself.

"She's also my friend so..." Evelyn teased, taking a long sip as Bianca scoffed.

"Evelyn, she will treat you like a termite treats wood and leave you a hollow husk of yourself," Bianca frowned, pausing to take a sip of her own tea. "She's bad news."

Evelyn smiled in a way that looked like she already knew. "Bad news breeds heroes. And heroes, my dear siren, capture the eye of the Gods. Perhaps I'll finally be able to get a granule of mother's attention."

"I'm guessing your parents aren't coming to see you?" Bianca asked, picking up on Evelyn's bitterness.

"Ethan is, definitely, but dad..." Evelyn trailed off as she gazed into her tea. She looked like she'd fallen asleep standing. "He's probably tied up in another work meeting."

"My mother isn't coming either," Bianca sighed, offering a gentle smile. Evelyn let out a humourless laugh.

"I feel like a side-piece in my own family," Evelyn admitted, running her thumb along handle of her mug. "Why even have kids if you're not going to care."
"I second that," Bianca muttered, holding her mug up for Evelyn to tap her's against.

"Remember what you said to me the first time we talked three years ago?" Evelyn asked offhandedly, to which Bianca shook her head with a laugh.

"Don't go there, Evelyn," she warned jokingly.

"'So...what are you?'" Evelyn said, her voice high and playfully mocking.

Bianca rolled her eyes, "To which you responded, 'Who are you?'"

Evelyn grinned, "And then you laughed and invited me to eat with you."

"Simultaneously giving you popularity that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise," Bianca said, raising her eyebrows as if waiting for Evelyn to challenge the statement.

"I got some pretty sweet honey. Well, had. Courtesy of your Pitch Slappers," Evelyn snorted, setting her now empty cup of tea on her desk with yawn.

"For the last time, it no one in the Pitch Slappers can sing that high," Bianca groaned, ignoring Evelyn's giggle in response as she returned back to her blueprints.

Arnold suddenly flew into the lab and landed on Evelyn's desk. "Hello, you. Sleep well?"

Arnold spotted Bianca and leapt onto the hand holding the mug with an excited squeak of greeting. "Hey, Arnold."

"I'm afraid she can't stay long," Evelyn proclaimed loudly, barely glancing over her shoulder as she supercharged a gem.

"Hint taken," Bianca said, placing Arnold down onto her desk before leaving.

Moments later, the gem exploded into little shards which made Arnold immediately dart up to his loft to safety. Evelyn felt sweat drip down her neck as she held the shrapnel shards contained in a little bubble of magic. She condensed it down into a ball with spikes coming out of every direction. She slowed down her erratic breathing as she looked at this thing that she had just created.

"Well, what happens now?" Arnold dropped to Evelyn's shoulder, grimacing at her stench of sweat.

"In theory, it's supercharged so as soon as it hits a certain velocity, it should explode," Evelyn said, pulling on the gauntlets and using them to amplify her magic. She carefully hovered the supercharged gem between her hands as Arnold got the window for her.

"Are you sure this is safe?"

"There's a monster lurking 'round these parts, nothing is safe." With that, she sent the gem hurdling out the window to which it exploded into the safety net Evelyn had thrown just after to catch the flying shrapnel. "It works!"

"Weems doesn't look happy."

Evelyn's gaze rose to see Weems staring at her with a disapproving expression. She just grinned sheepishly and tossing her gauntlets haphazardly onto her desk before exiting her lab, an incredibly satisfied look on her face.