6

Evelyn was sitting in a corner booth of the Weathervane, a common place for her to enjoy her latte at, except the coffee machine was broken so she had to settle for drip. The son of Jericho's Sheriff was working today and struggling immensely with the coffee machine. She would help but it was just too much fun watching the Normie struggle every time her eyes would lift from the Greek mythology book she was studying. Arnold was colouring a drawing with a comically large crayon.

The bell chimed as Wednesday walked in and Evelyn watched curiously as she walked right up to Tyler to fix his coffee machine, then immediately ask for a ride. Her smile widened as she saw Tyler turn her down. With a wry chuckle, she returned her attention back to her book.

Arnold squeaked loudly to get her attention, pointing at the door where a bunch of boys had dressed as pilgrims. Evelyn had to hold back her laugh. She watched them approach Wednesday with a bad feeling in her stomach. It was obvious that she wasn't a Normie, the fact alone put her at risk.

"Stay here," she whispered to Arnold before she made her way over to them.

"Are you a Freak?" Their ringleader demanded, jabbing a finger at Evelyn when she walked over and leaned herself against the table.

"Hello, gentlemen," she greeted, beginning to use her Charmspeak. She watched two of them blink back against it, scowling as they did.

"Hey," the one on the left spoke, smiling like he had just been knocked silly. One of his friends scowled and grabbed him by the shoulder, shaking him out of his trance.

"Hey! Snap out of it," Lucas hissed, hitting his friend to bring him back to the present. He stepped forward with his lackeys.

"I'd advise you to take a step back," Evelyn said calmly, pushing herself into a standing position.

"So, Freak, you ever been with a Normie?" He snarled, trying to look intimidating.

"I've always found them too submissive," Evelyn shrugged, catching her bottom lip between her teeth with a predatory grin. His face scrunched up and threw a punch. Evelyn went to block it but Wednesday was already there.

"I suggest you leave her alone." She tilted her head slightly.

"I can handle myself," Evelyn growled, pushing Wednesday out of the way and socking the guy in the face. She heard the guy run up to them.

"Hey! Leave them alone," he said, putting himself between them.

"Stay out of this," the two girls snarled, glaring at him with equal ferocity.

"I've been looking for a fight," Evelyn added, a small smirk coming to her face. She raised her fists to her face in a boxing stance, quickly incapacitating one in the time Wednesday had taken down two.

"I got two," Wednesday commented smugly.

"It's not a competition," Evelyn retorted.

"Woah, where'd you learn those kung fu moves?" Tyler interjected in awe.

"My Uncle spent three years in a Tibetan monastery," Wednesday replied off-handedly while Evelyn went to collect Arnold, eager to make do of her promise to Lilian.

"Was he a monk?"

"Prisoner."

"Hey, your coffee machine is working, right? Can I get a latte, please?" Evelyn interrupted, wrinkling her nose at the half cup of drip that was still on her table.

Evelyn groaned as she saw Sheriff Galpin make an entrance. "Tyler, the hell's going on here?"

"I swear I wasn't involved, Dad. They were harassing the customers so they were put in their place," Tyler explained hurriedly.

"Customers?" Sheriff Galpin asked suspiciously.

"Uh, Wednesday and...her." Tyler pointed at Evelyn, who sighed in exasperation and quickly finished her latte.

"Dolce?" he asked, squinting his eyes at her.

"Sir?" she asked mockingly, fake pouting at him as she went for the door with her book tucked under her arm.

"No, no, no. You get back here. This is your second time assaulting someone," he stated, making a motion with his finger to tell her to come back.

"It was self-defence," Evelyn shrugged nonchalantly, looking down at the groaning boys.

Principal Weems suddenly walked in, interrupting their moment. She took in the chaos for a moment before smiling pleasantly. "My apologies, Sheriff. This one slipped away from me. Come on, Miss Addams, Miss Dolce. Let's go."

"Hang on, you're an Addams? Don't tell me your father is Gomez Addams?"

Evelyn paused at the door, drawn into the drama with an intrigued look on her face. Wednesday nodded slightly.

"Your father is wanted for murder." He paused to look her up and down. "I'm guessing the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I've got my eye on you. Both of you."

"Okay, sir," Evelyn said mockingly.

"Miss Dolce," Weems said warningly before ushering both of them out. "I expected better of you, Evelyn. Picking a fight with Normies? Really?"

"I'm sorry, Principal Weems," Evelyn muttered, looking at the ground. Weems just shook her head in disappointment. "I'm going to walk back. Think about my actions and stuff."

"Very well. I expect to see you at the Autumn Harvest Festival."

Evelyn smiled, "I'll be there."