17

Evelyn watched as the bag was pulled off of Wednesday's head and she looked around, her eyes paused slightly on Evelyn as a look of recognition came to her.

"Who dares breach our inner sanctum?" Bianca asked, her voice purposely lower. Evelyn had to stifle her laughter.

"You can take the mask off, Bianca," Wednesday deadpanned. Bianca scoffed and took it off, to which Wednesday quickly said, "wait, I preferred you with it on."

Everyone around the room began to remove their masks in defeat. Evelyn almost laughed at the look of disappointment on Wednesday's face.

"I honestly expected better of you, Evelyn. You spend your nights doing foolish teenage activities?" Wednesday deadpanned to which Evelyn only rolled her eyes.

"How did you even get in here?" Xavier asked.

"Rowan showed me," she continued when she saw their look of confusion. "Left pocket."

Evelyn walked forward briskly and fetched the piece of paper from the allocated pocket. It must have been the paper that she saw Wednesday take on the night of Rowan's murder. She passed it on to Xavier for him to take a look. She stilled her hands as Wednesday continued talking, her voice having a calming effect on her for some reason.

"I tracked the watermark on the page to the Poe statue. Then I solved the riddle," Wednesday glanced at Evelyn.

"Wait, there's a riddle? I thought we just snapped twice," Kent interjected, a confuddled expression on his face.

"Well, aren't you the brightest of the bunch?" Wednesday snarked.

"He's my friend," Evelyn muttered warningly just loud enough for Wednesday to hear.

"The Nightshades are an elite social group," Bianca said, somewhat smugly. "Emphasis on elite."

"We have roof parties and campouts," Yoko said.

"And the occasional midnight skinny dip," Evelyn added, nodding. Wednesday's expression changed subtly, so subtle that Evelyn barely caught it.

"And Yoko's an ameteur mixologist. It can get pretty wild here," Divina said, casting a proud look to the girl.

"She makes a killer virgin mojito," Ajax added.

"Wow, do you guys even have a bedtime?" Wednesday asked sarcastically, "last I heard the Nightshades had been disbanded years ago."

Evelyn looked away.

"The group kind of lost its charter 30 years ago when some Normie kid died," Xavier explained, just saying what he knew.

"But we have a lot of wealthy alumni so Weems looks the other way so long as we don't make any waves," Yoko said, shrugging.

"Someone like Rowan?"

Evelyn flinched slightly at his mention.

"We booted that loser last semester," Bianca said nonchalantly. "Question is, what do we do with her? Only members are allowed in this library"

Tense silence followed where everyone looked around at everybody else.

"I say we invite her to pledge," Xavier said, gesturing at a picture of a man and a woman on the wall, "she is a legacy."

"You've been simping after Wednesday's mother?!" Kent laughed, grinning incredulously at a suddenly scarlet Evelyn.

"I'm not—I didn't—what?" Evelyn spluttered, quickly pulling her hood up to hide her face in embarrassment.

"Xavier, are you serious? After the crap she pulled in the Poe cup? No way in hell. We talk about not making waves? She's a tsunami," Bianca scoffed, looking at Xavier like he was insane.