14

Evelyn had decided to take a page out of Xavier's sketchbook, figuratively. She'd decided to go on a run to clear her head of that day's embarrassing events where she'd basically just outed herself to her crush. She never thought she could fall head over heels for anybody again, to cold, emotionless Wednesday Addams nonetheless. Well, maybe not completely emotionless. She had just gotten down to the lake when she spotted the unmistakeable figures of Wednesday and Thing together by the boats. She watched Wedneday straighten up and watch as she jogged passed.

"Evelyn," she called out, causing said girl to immediately backtrack and pause her music. She smiled in greeting as she caught her breath.

"What're you and Thing up to now?" Evelyn asked, peering into the boat to see Thing.

"Making preparations for the Poe cup tomorrow," Wednesday said and Evelyn was surprised to see the slightest hesitation on her face.

"You're competing? Wow, I never thought I'd see the day where you partook in joyous school activities," Evelyn remarked, to which Wednesday just nodded.

"Why are you running after dark?" Wednesday turned back to the boat to continue working.

"Just trying to get someone out of my head. Speaking of which, I should probably finish my run," Evelyn explained, shocked at herself for own nerve.

"Keep me company," Wednesday muttered, her voice so low Evelyn could barely hear it.

"Sorry?"

"Keep me company," Wednesday repeated, louder.

"Alright," Evelyn agreed, walking over to sit beside the boat and dangling her legs over the water. "Did someone bow out of the Poe cup?"

"Bianca sabotaged Yoko by playing on her garlic allergy." She screwed spikes into the boat.

"Bianca does have a competitive streak," Evelyn replied, reclining onto her back to look at the stars.

"Who's the girl you're trying to get out of your head?" Wednesday asked, beginning to measure Thing.

"How'd you know she's a girl?" Evelyn retorted playfully.

"Your admittance just now, the girl that keeps staring at you which I guessed was an ex and I asked Enid," Wednesday replied offhandedly as she began to cut into the boat.

"It's good to hear that you're good friends now," Evelyn smiled, breathing in the fresh air.

"I suppose that's what it is. I'm glad Enid and introduced us. My investigation couldn't have gone as smoothly without you," Wednesday didn't look behind her but the words made Evelyn's heart swell up.

"I like you, too," Evelyn grinned despite herself, pulling herself into a seated position.

"I'm fortunate to have a friendship with you," Wednesday agreed and Evelyn was glad she was far away enough that she couldn't see the way her face fell with her heart.

"I thought you didn't do friends?" Evelyn teased, barely missing a beat as she shoved those feelings down to be dealt with later.

"Nevermore is an enigma," Wednesday said as she joined Evelyn by the water's edge.

"Nevermore is a home to all Outcasts. Nevermore is a home to me," Evelyn said, smiling at the thought.

"Do you have any idea why Xavier has taken such an interest in me?" Wednesday asked suddenly, causing Evelyn to let out a chuckle.

"Aw...you haven't seen all of the pining expressions he throws at you?" Evelyn asked, bumping their shoulders together teasingly.

Wednesday frowned, "I'm macabre in every sense of the word. I'm emotionally distant and people avoid me like the plague."

"You are also incredibly intelligent and your determination is admirable," Evelyn added. "I can see why he likes you."

"Is that so?" Wednesday laced her fingers together.

"He's a sweet enough guy. I think you should give him a chance," Evelyn said, ignoring the bitter, burning taste the last sentence had on her throat. She pulled out a gem to play with it. It began pulsing with gentle, blue light as she slowly brought magic into it.

"It's...impressive the way you have control over your abilities," Wednesday muttered, her eyes transfixed on the gem slowly spinning in the air.

"I kind of had to when I almost killed a bunch of people," Evelyn snorted, letting the gem drop into Wednesday's lap. She picked up the small hexagonal object and placed it in her pocket with the barest of smiles. Their hands brushed in the process of the movement.

Evelyn's eyes were unintentionally drawn to Wednesday's dark brown ones that seemed to fill with the barest bit of warmth. "I didn't see that on your file."

"I didn't see attempted murder on yours," Evelyn bit back, one corner of her lip quirking up ever so slightly.

Wednesday shrugged in response and turned her gaze to the lake where the moon was illuminating the water.

"I'm going to head back up. I'd hate to make you stay out here longer than need be from my interference. Goodnight, Wednesday. Have a good sleep, Thing," Evelyn smiled and patted Wednesday's shoulder before leaving.