18

Wednesday dragged a student into an empty classroom where she had told Evelyn to wait. Evelyn snapped her notebook shut, letting Arnold scamper up her arm as she fixed Wednesday with a look of disapproval.

"What have you dragged me into now, Wednesday," she deadpanned, then her expression changed when she recognised who it was. Lilian.

"Charm her. She's been having visions but she won't tell me," Wednesday ordered, her lips pursed into a thin line as Lilian gasped.

"Wednesday, this is a step into insanity. I'm not doing this," Evelyn muttered as Wednesday returned from shoving Lilian into an empty seat.

Wednesday didn't say anything for a moment but eventually, her hands rose to cup Evelyn's face between them. "I understand who she is to you–"

"Then why are you doing this to me?" Evelyn's voice cracked as she grabbed Wednesday's cold wrists, silently not wanting her to let go.

"I think she has a vital key to my investigation," Wednesday said, staring deep into Evelyn's eyes.

Evelyn wrenched Wednesday's hands away from her face, an action that both of them seemed surprised about. "I'll help you this last time, never again."

"Done," Wednesday replied easily.

Evelyn put Arnold down on a nearby desk and walked over to Lilian, who looked up with wide, innocent eyes. "I didn't think you'd ever want to talk to me again."

Evelyn brought an easy smile to her face as she tenderly brushed Lilian's hair away from her face. "Neither did I, yet here we are. It must be fate. Have you been sleeping better?"

Lilian leaned into her touch, sighing gently. "Not much, honestly."

"Any dreams about me?" Lilian glanced behind her at Wednesday which Evelyn noted and grabbed her chin gently to bring her focus back to her. "Hey, don't worry about her. It's just you and me."

"Yes, actually. You were...ripped open. It was hard to tell because of the bad lighting but there were two...things fighting in front of you. You had a gun and shot one of them," Lilian muttered, her eyes glossing over slightly as she thought back to it. "No, that wasn't you. That was someone else."

"That's okay," Evelyn encouraged, drawing up a chair across from the girl.

"You, Bianca, Xavier, Wednesday and I were all in the school as it burned down. Joseph Crackstone was there," Lilian said, quietly reaching for Evelyn's hand for support which she willingly gave.

"Crackstone is...dead," Evelyn said, carefully tiptoeing around the subject.

Lilian nodded, "that's why I think my visions are becoming unpredictable."

"It must be scary," Evelyn sympathised, feeling Wednesday's eyes drilling into the back of her head as she deviated from the subject.

Lilian's hand shot forward quickly and grabbed her wrist, her wide eyes stared into Evelyn's intensely, "The path you want to embark on...the monster will come for you. It will continue to come for you until it has what it wants."

"Is there anything else you'd like to tell me?" Evelyn prodded, gently giving Lilian's hand a squeeze.

"It was a mistake and I'm...really so sorry. I feel terrible that I've hurt you," Lilian confessed, staring deep into Evelyn's eyes.

Evelyn's mouth went dry.

"You deserve better. I want to be better for you," Lilian nodded, reaching up to stroke Evelyn's cheek tenderly.

"Thank you, Lili," Evelyn whispered sincerely, wrapping her fingers around the hand stroking her face.

"Do you maybe want to meet up tonight? Behind the school?" Lilian asked quietly.

Evelyn was about to reply but Wednesday beat her to it, "she won't be interested."

"Ev?" Lilian stared at the girl.

Evelyn shook her head gently and Lilian left quietly, her head dipped down in shame. "That wasn't your decision to make, Wednesday."

Wednesday narrowed her eyes, "I was right, though, wasn't I?"

"You're infuriating," Evelyn fumed, getting right up close to the girl. "You had no right to put me in that situation."

Wednesday looked remorseful, "If I told you, you'd never agree to do it."

"That's lying! That's manipulation!" Evelyn exclaimed, shaking her head. "I thought we were friends."

For the first time, Wednesday had no snappy quip to fight back with.

"I bet you don't even know the first thing about me," Evelyn seethed, looking over Wednesday's face for a moment longer before storming away, not hearing Wednesday's quiet response.

"We are."

IT'S ABOUT TO GO DOWNNNN