9

The next morning, Evelyn stood outside of Principal Weems' office with dark circles under her eyes from lack of sleep. She knocked twice before receiving a 'come in'.

She was wearing a casual amount of comfortable, fluffy clothing when she walked in. She had no doubt that her eyes were terribly puffy. "Principal Weems?"

To her surprise, both Sheriff Galpin and Wednesday were also inside. Unlike usual, Evelyn hadn't put any makeup on. She didn't care. "Ah, Miss Dolce. How can I help you?"

"Have you found Rowan's body yet?" she asked quietly, playing with a small white rose in her hands.

"No," Sheriff Galpin replied gruffly. "No struggle, no blood, no evidence."

Evelyn's eyes widened. "N-No. I saw what it was. It was a monster. Seven feet tall, at least, wide bulging eyes, hulking...tearing Rowan apart."

Sheriff Galpin's eyes narrowed suspiciously. "You sure it wasn't one of your classmates?"

"Sheriff, we have gone over this," Principal Weems said warningly. The Sheriff held up his hands.

"There isn't a monster anywhere. Is she having a psychotic break, Weems?" he asked, jabbing his thumb at Evelyn.

"Evelyn," Principal Weems said, her voice falsely warm. "Rowan ran away. We'll bring him back."

"No! I—I touched his body. I saw him getting torn apart. I closed his eyes!" Evelyn's bottom lip trembled, trying desperately to hold it together. Weems' face softened, almost as if she were sorry. Evelyn's voice dropped to a whisper, "I had his blood on me."

"I saw it happen," Wednesday added calmly. Evelyn walked closer to them onto the plush rug.

"Evelyn, it's obvious that you're not in the right state of mind–"

"We'd like to put a statement down. In private," Wednesday interrupted, silently challenging Principal Weems.

"I really don't think this is necessary."

"Let's do it. Whatever," the Sheriff agreed, shrugging his shoulders.

Weems gave a tight-lipped smile. "Fine. Five minutes and everything is off the record. Play nice."

After she left, Evelyn came forward to stand beside Wednesday. "Sheriff, I know what I saw."

"Listen, Dolce–"

"Rowan was murdered and the crime scene has been covered up. That's the only explanation." Wednesday glared at him.

"Is that your professional opinion as the daughter of a murderer?"

"There's no need to bring family into this," Evelyn said, glaring at the Sheriff.

"My father is twice the man you ever were and the only thing he murders is the occasional opera in the shower," Wednesday bit back, casting a look at the other girl.

At the Sheriff's silence, she looked at Evelyn.

"We all know that there's a monster out there," Evelyn said, her voice trembling.

"And Rowan is his latest victim," Wednesday added.

The door opened and all three looked over. "Sheriff, you're going to want to see this..."

The woman opened the other door to show Rowan. Fully alive, smiling and waving sheepishly. Evelyn could only let out a strangled shriek and dropped the rose, her hands over her mouth.

She walked up slowly to Rowan, who smiled uneasily. "You died."

"No, I didn't. Very much alive as you can see," he chuckled, gesturing at himself.

"You little bastard," Evelyn hissed, punching Rowan square in the jaw. He staggered back, holding it in shock as he stared at Evelyn, who had a look of horror on her face. Without thinking, she pushed past Rowan and rushed to her dorm.

Evelyn was still in her dorm by the time her next class was going to start soon but she was still too shocked at seeing Rowan alive in the flesh. She heard a short knock on her door, which swung open to reveal Bianca.

"Hey," Bianca greeted, walking over to Evelyn where she was sitting with her back against her headboard.

"Bianca. I saw him. I swear on my life I saw him. I saw the monster too—"

"Evelyn," Bianca interrupted firmly. "I want to believe you but I can't. We all saw Rowan walk around school this morning."

"I saw a dead man standing," Evelyn's voice was soft and scared, something Bianca had never heard before.

"We need to get to class," Bianca said, standing up and holding her hand out to Evelyn to help her up.

"Botany?"

"Yeah."