15

The next day, the weather was warm and pleasant as Evelyn headed down to the lake amongst the throng of excited students. She'd decided to leave her hair out today with a single braid running along the back of her head. She weaved through the students to get to the contestants, smiling at Bianca as she approached her.

"Given that I am in Ophelia Hall, I think it's time for me to wish you bad luck," Evelyn said, to which Bianca only rolled her eyes. A large hand clapped down on Evelyn's neatly styled hair, a hand that she recognised. "Hello, Kent."

"Wishing us bad luck, eh? It's a shame we don't have the favour of the Gods smiling upon us today," he proclaimed dramatically, letting his arm slide down to her shoulder. Ordinarily, she would've flinched and tried to move away but she had known Kent for long enough to trust him completely. He gestured to his own face as he talked about Evelyn's, "I see you've decided to go a bit overboard."

Evelyn grinned, she had put extra effort in today because she wanted to look her best on such a special day, "Why, thank you, Kent."

"It looks good," he nodded, smiling kindly. "Oh, look. Divinia."

Divinia came over with a deep sigh, "I was really looking forward to competing against Yoko but alas, it wasn't to be."

"At least she's recovered enough to watch your downfall," Evelyn grinned.

Divinia scoffed, "You better watch that silver tongue of yours, Evelyn."
"We'll celebrate later tonight. Good luck," Evelyn said, smiling as she stepped out from under Kent's arm.

She wandered around for a few minutes before she found Enid waiting outside of a tent amongst the excited students.

"Hey, Enid. Good luck today and fingers-crossed Ophelia Hall finally wins," Evelyn said, slightly breathlessly.

"God, I hope so. I think I'm going to rip my eyes out if Bianca wins again. That smug expression—sorry, I know she's your friend," Enid spluttered out all in quick succession.

Their conversation was cut short when Wednesday burst out of the tent in a Black cat costume. She halted suddenly when she saw Evelyn.

"You look purr-fect!" Enid exclaimed, grinning widely at how she had managed to get Wednesday into costume. "Just one thing. Where are your whiskers?"

"Ask again and you'll be down to eight lives," Wednesday replied, leveling a glare Enid's way.

"I like the costume. Very Edward-scissorhands-esque," Evelyn complimented, causing Enid to beam proudly at the praise and rushed into the tent to find something. She reached forward and carefully adjusted one of the cat ears that Wednesday had placed on lopsided.

"Where's Arnold?" Wednesday asked, noticing the absence of the sugar glider.

"He's...unwell. Hopefully he'll be okay," Evelyn muttered, feeling the barest shiver of worry creep into her mind.

"We can always try blood-letting," Wednesday noted, to which Evelyn nodded somewhat sadly. "He'll be okay."

"Good luck, I'll be right here cheering you guys on. May Glory finally come to Ophelia Hall."

"Thanks, Evelyn!" Enid grinned, rushing out of the tent, grabbing Wednesday by the wrist and beginning to drag her toward the boats.

Their eyes locked for a second before Evelyn turned to head back into the crowd of students.

By the time the Poe Cup was over, Evelyn could barely breathe as elation seemed to be the only thing she could feel. She didn't think and just grabbed Enid into a hug, to which the werewolf excitedly returned, screaming in joy.

"You did it! You fucking did it!" Evelyn yelled over the crowd, one hand on Enid's shoulder and the other one Wednesday's. "I knew you'd do it! Congratulations!"

"Thank you! Oh my god, this is literally the best day of my life!" Enid yelled, grinning as she nudged Wednesday. "Admit it, you got into the whole school spirit of it."

"You didn't tell me it was a dark, vengeful spirit," Wednesday replied, shooting a smug look in the direction of the docks where Bianca was slowly crawling out, fuming from the ears.