22

Evelyn smiled as she accepted the envelope from Ms Thornhill. Bianca was perched on the table, opening hers before letting out a groan.

"The Weathervane," she said, scanning over the paper with a sigh.

"I got..." Evelyn opened the paper dramatically, her face immediately morphing into one of disgust when she saw it. "Pilgrim World."

"Swap with me," Bianca begged, holding on lightly to the edge of Evelyn's paper.

"You want Pilgrim World?" Evelyn asked incredulously, letting go of the paper.

"It's better than the Weathervane."

"I don't really want to see Tyler again, though..." Evelyn trailed off.

"He got the hots for you or something?" Bianca snorted, nudging Evelyn's elbow with her own.

Evelyn rolled her eyes, "whatever you want to believe, Bianca."

"Come on," Bianca nagged, "what's the worst that could happen?"

"Yeah, okay, whatever," Evelyn said, passing the envelope to her friend.

"Thank you," Bianca grinned, passing her envelope to Evelyn.

"Have fun in Pilgrim World. Drop by for a coffee, will you?" Evelyn sighed, tucking her envelope into her pocket and casting her eyes around the quad, accidentally locking eyes with Wednesday.

"You know I will," Bianca replied, also tucking her envelope into her pocket. "Hey, do you and Wednesday have a thing going on?"

"I-what? No! Just because my mother is the goddess of love doesn't mean she's always favouring me!" Evelyn spluttered, tearing her eyes away from the goth's and trying to calm her suddenly beating heart.

"You seem to be pretty close with her..." Bianca raised her eyebrows and leaned back onto the heels of her hands.

"I wouldn't do that to you," Evelyn scoffed. Arnold raised his head from his place on Evelyn's knee.

"Hey, I don't really care if you get with her. She's dangerous, though," Bianca leaned forward and took both of Evelyn's hands in hers. "I don't want to see you hurt."

Evelyn bit her lip, about to reply when Wednesday appeared in front of her. Wednesday's eyes dipped down to Bianca and Evelyn's clasped hands, an unreadable expression now on her face. "Evelyn."

"Wednesday."

Bianca made a move to let go and leave but Evelyn held onto her hands tightly.

"I heard you got Pilgrim World," Wednesday said. Evelyn held back her smile at how awkward Wednesday starting a conversation with her was, smiling even wider when she saw Thing suddenly appear on her shoulder, realising he had snuck a peek at her paper.

"Oh, I swapped with Bianca," Evelyn said, finally letting go of Bianca's hands when she knew she wasn't going to run.

Wednesday looked between the two. "Then swap back."

"Why? 'Cuz you got Pilgrim World?" Bianca bit back sharply. Evelyn nudged her knee in slight warning with her hand. Wednesday's lip twitched.

"You know what? Forget it. Have a lovely day, to the two of you and for the record, it's some shop called Uriah's Heap," she snapped sarcastically and stormed off.

"Wednesday-" Evelyn called out but the girl walked purposefully to Enid before getting stopped halfway by Weems.

Bianca stifled a laugh. "You might not be into her, but she's definitely into you."

"You think?" Evelyn replied hastily, her tone eager.

"Wednesday doesn't talk to people unless she wants something from them," Bianca stated, grinning at the way Evelyn's face subconsciously lit up.

"You're more perceptive than I thought."

Bianca rolled her eyes, "anyway, I'm pretty sure she wanted something here, too."

"And what would that be?" Evelyn put her palms flat on the top of the table and leaned her weight onto them, cracking her back.

"She...wants to spend time with you," Bianca said.

"So? We're friends," Evelyn said, returning back to her original seated position.

"Gosh, darn it, you're so dense! She is so into you. She hasn't stopped staring at us since she stomped away." Bianca batted Evelyn's arm gently while Evelyn looked over to see Wednesday staring back at her with an unreadable expression. Not knowing what to do, she just flashed a smile and a wink before returning her attention to Bianca.

"You...may have a point," she admitted, tucking her hands into her pockets, even as she felt Wednesday blatantly staring at her.

Bianca tapped her knee, smiling widely. "See you around on outreach day, have fun!" 

---

The bus came to a stop with a heaving huff as everyone piled out. Evelyn sidled up next to Wednesday, who was just standing there taken in the town.

"Why the long face?" She nudged Wednesday's ribs gently with her elbow.

Wednesday cast a side-eye at her before barely rolling them. "I always look like this."

With that, she marched off to Xaver who was staring down a blank wall that Evelyn recognised. She bit her lip, a sudden swirl of emotions coming to life within her, especially after seeing how smitten Xavier was with her. It burned hot in her throat, like a weight on her heart that was endlessly pulling toward Wednesday like a magnet. She was pulled back to reality by Arnold, who placed his paw gently on her cheek.

"Do you...think she's mad at me?" Evelyn whispered.

"Oh, absolutely," Arnold muttered.

"Whatever..." Evelyn replied, shaking herself out of her stupor and regaining her confidence as she walked into the town square where a lot of people had already gathered.

Mayer Walker stood in front of all of the Nevermore students, a smile so wide a clown would be jealous on his face while he spouted nonsense. Evelyn had to hold her back from cringing as she stroked Arnold to sleep. She felt the same ache in her chest and burn in her throat as Xavier and Wednesday appeared in her peripheral, but forced it down as Weems dismissed them to their jobs.

Walking into the Weathervane, she struggled to keep her eyes from rolling into the back of her head at the sight of Xavier.

"You're late..." said Tyler, handing her an apron to put on.

"None of your business," Evelyn muttered, putting it on without complaints. She walked over to the cash register to start working.

"Yeah, also, no animals allowed. We don't want to get sued for...animal fur in the coffees," Tyler said, disappearing into the back.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Evelyn muttered, "And to think I'm not getting paid, either."

"Real funny, Evelyn," Xavier said from his place at the coffee machine. The Weathervane was fairly quiet so neither of them had anything to do. Tyler had disappeared into the back, mumbling about getting some more coffee beans.

"Why, thank you, Xavier," Evelyn said, her voice thoroughly sarcastic.

"Woah, what's got you in a mood?" He asked, raising his hands.

Evelyn sighed, "Sorry. I'm just in a bad mood. Girl stuff."

His eyes widened, "alright, I get what you're hinting at. I'll leave you be."

Evelyn's eye twitched but the bell rung and she began to serve the next customer that walked in. Whatever she was feeling now would have to wait for when she was ready to deal with them. 

So so sorry for the late update. I've been absolutely drowning in exam revision. Updates soon, guys, I swear <3