Chapter Twenty-three

The next morning the couple was enjoying their breakfast, Fae fluttering around them when Nyx spoke.

"I thought we could all enjoy a day on the lake."

Nyx looked to Fae.

"And I mean EVERYONE." Nyx smiled.

"Oh really mistress?! I haven't been ice-skating in so long!" Fae said, clear joy crossing her face.

Nyx nodded, "Yes, after breakfast is cleared, please let Bree and Crow know."

Fae squealed with joy and brought plates into the kitchen, loudly telling Bree and Crow, causing Nyx to laugh.

"There's a lake?" Raven asks curiously.

"Yes, just out back." Nyx said simply.

Raven thought for a moment, she hasn't been skating in some time but could surely still remember. They continued to enjoy their breakfast and each other's company and soon everyone was in warmer clothes and headed towards the lake. Crow had brought a small picnic basket full of pastries for them to enjoy. Getting to the water there was a small bench right at the edge of the frozen lake. Both Nyx and Raven brushed off the layer of snow and sat down to put their skates on. Bree and Fae decided to build a snowman and make snow angels, Crow ever vigilante, keeping watch.

Raven walked to the edge of the lake, a little unsteady but still without falling. Nyx walked behind her, graceful as ever. At the edge Nyx offered her hand to Raven, who took it and then they both pushed off the edge and began skating. In no time Raven got used to it and let go of Nyx hand, Nyx did a few tricks which made everyone clap and Raven skated towards the other side, looking out at the landscape and the winter wonderland before her.

Distracted by the beauty of the world around her, Raven didn't hear Nyx yelling her name.

"Raven stop!" Nyx red eyes widened in fear.

Raven was confused and turned behind her to see what caused Nyx to look like that and came face to face with Ace,

"Hello again darling~" He said before grabbing Raven by the arms and teleporting away in a puff of smoke.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It had been hours, Nyx and Erik were both in the basement of the house, trying to gather ingredients together to find Raven. Nyx had a map of the nearby area and Raven's hairbrush, Erik was putting things into a pot and speaking in old tongues.

"It all needs to come together first, then we add the hair, we will find her." He said with confidence.

Nyx was trapped in her own mind, terrified of what her father would do to Raven in the time it takes them to find them.

"I'll be right back, I need a moment." Nyx says as she goes to the first floor and outside to the night air.

Nyx looks up to the moon, its full shape lighting the snowy area around her. She opens her arms in surrender.

"Mother! I'm so lost! He has her again... I can't lose her... "

Nyx begins to cry as she holds her head in her hands, but a glowing figure is walking up to her and lifts her chin.

"There there daughter, don't ever let your chin fall."

Nyx looks up and sees her mother, her long black hair trailing behind her and dressed as her portrait, in a dress made of gold, a crown of stars adorning her head.

"M-mother? I need help... She-she's gone again and I can't find her... What should I do?" she asked.

The goddess smiles, "Do you love her?"

"Yes! I don't think I've met anyone I've ever loved anyone more..."

Her mother nods, "Then fight for her dear. You can't run from who or what you are. Embrace both sides of you and the answer will come easily..." Her form begins to fade out a little.

"My time is short my love, I wish I could help you more All I can say is you know what you must do... Now go get your love my dear..." As she finally fades away, leaving Nyx wiping her tears away from her red eyes.

She glides back inside to see Erik still fiddling with the pot.

Nyx looked at the pot, "Is it ready?"

Erik nodded, "Yes Mistress, it just needs her hair."

Nyx took some from Raven's brush and dropped it into the pot and waited, but nothing happened.

"Merde! What is happening? It should be working!"

Embrace both sides of you.

Nyx's mothers words drifted through her and she got an idea.

Erik, your knife." She asked him.

He took it off his belt loop and handed it to her. Nyx unsheathed it and ran it down her palm, letting the blood pool in her hand.

"Mistress, what are you doing?" Erik asks in shock.

Nyx simply looks at him and says, "Our demon side compels us to take blood, so giving some blood in return should spice things up."

She then puts her hand over the pot and lets the blood drip into the water, immediately smoke rises from the pot and circles Nyx, filling her nose and making her eyes roll back in her head.

Its hot

And dark

I can't see

What is that?

A small glow of light was shown from the far left, not giving much light but that's where the heat was coming from. Nyx tries to look around and notices bars.

A cage?

Then the sounds and ground beneath her started to make sense.

I'm in the mountains.

Suddenly everything came rushing back and Nyx's eyes returned to normal. She pointed to a mountain range near the middle of the map.

"I've found her, she's here in the cave with the light."

Erik marked the map and then focused his own magic, teleporting them just outside the cave's entrance.