Chapter Thirteen

Raven woke up in a daze, not sure where she was until she felt delicate fingers on her head. She looked up to see Nyx gently playing with her hair. They both were on the bench with Raven's head in the woman's lap. Remembering what she had seen, Raven scrambled away from the dark woman before her. Nyx had a look on her face that said she expected this reaction and elegantly stood up.

"I understand if you hate me. I'm a monster and I'm sorry for deceiving you. I wanted to keep you safe from everyone. Alas, I made you fear me instead." Raven had never seen the woman before her look so.... Defeated.

"I-I don't hate you.. I'm just more confused, is that why you've brought me here? To eat me?"

"No of course not!" Nyx exclaimed.

Raven regretted asking that and remembered the blood on her lips when they...

She shivered, "You bit me. It didn't hurt though... Did I..."

She wasn't sure she wanted to know, "Did I taste good?"

Nyx nodded, "Like the lavender oils you're fond of and honey." Nyx said sincerely and Raven blushed.

"There are so many things you don't know about, it would be difficult to explain it all in one sitting." Raven sighed but nodded in understanding.

This is so much...

I'm still not sure I'm awake

You know this isn't a dream

I wish it were a dream...

"What about your servants? I've seen you eat, do you need blood often?"

"Erik is like me, the offspring of a God and a demoness, Crow is human, but my maids are nymphs of the underworld, specifically called the Hesperides, Bree is also a child of Nyx, Fae is born of the Titan Atlas. With eating it is less often now that I'm older, but I can go a few days without."

"And do you?..."

"I don't eat people Raven, A vampire like me can only hunt night animals, due to my mother ruling over the night, unless in very special circumstances."

Raven raised her eyebrows, "And that is?"

Nyx put her finger to her lips and Raven let out a frustrated breath. She decided it was time to stand and rose to her feet, rather off balance she might add. Nyx was of course at her side in an instant, steadying her.

Raven looked deep into her mistress's eyes, searching for something, anything that would make her think that she was a monster, yet she found nothing. Nothing say for a warm heart and a kind smile. She hugged Nyx then, shocking the woman at the sudden show of affection. Nyx was sure she would have been running for the hills by now. Yet she received a warm hug.

Hugging her close Raven whispered in the woman's ear softly, "You're not a monster. You could never be a monster."

Pulling back the young woman became bold and kissed Nyx right on her mouth. Gasping Nyx held her just as close and felt wetness on her cheeks. Only when Raven pulled away and began wiping Nyx's face did she realize she had begun to cry.

A concerned look crossed Raven's face and she took the woman's hands in hers. "Are you okay?"

Nyx simply nodded and said "I just can't believe how accepting you are of me... Most have run or worse.." Raven wondered what could be worse but didn't press the issue farther.

"Shall we go back inside? It's getting quite cold." Raven nodded and followed her mistress inside, feeling as though another pair of eyes were on her as she walked.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Once inside Nyx led Raven to her room to let her relax after the information thrown her way.

Vampires? Gods? Nymphs?

What else is there?

What else could she possibly be shown?

Raven felt a bit light headed so she sat on her lounge that was facing the fireplace. The servants were very good with keeping her fireplace lit and her room comfortable. She lazily grabbed a book and began to read, it was the one that Nyx had given her the first time they were in the library and it was now her favorite. Remembering the fun they had in the library made Raven blush. She also remembered the dream she had about Nyx glowing red eyes. Her dream was so real.

A knock on her door startled her and she shook her thoughts away. "You may come in." she said and a new face appeared at her door.

"Hello miss, may I have a word?"

Partially confused Raven nodded her head and the young girl entered her room. Her clothing resembled the other servants but looked older, more worn and maybe even needing a stitch here and there. Aside from that she had a kind face and a tentative smile. Raven wondered if she was a nymph as well. She curtsied and spoke again,

"My name is Alexandra but if you'd like, you may call me Alli." Raven smiled and nodded for the girl to continue with what she needed. The young girl walked a bit closer to Raven and began.

"I'm sorry to interrupt but I felt the need to express my concerns." She frowned and looked down at her feet.

"And what concerns are those?" Raven asked curiously. Alli sighed and continued.

"It's the mistress.. She's... Dangerous my lady, I would urge you to stay away.."

Raven didn't understand, Nyx had been nothing but polite and kind.

Alli spoke again "I know how this seems but there have been, well... Others, before you I mean. Other... Girls."

Raven didn't like this conversation and she set her book down. "What do you mean Alli? There is something you're not telling me isn't there?"

Alli nodded. Raven asked, "Please.. Tell me, I need to know."

Alli looked into Raven's eyes and finally spoke the words Raven had been dreading. "They have all long been... Gone. They've all died because of the mistress.."