Chapter 7

Marinette

Her gaze followed Alya's figure, pacing back and forth in front of the table. She had been doing that for at least ten minutes, muttering curses under her breath.

"Alya?"

She huffed as she stopped, crossing her arms.

"You need to tell him again. And be clear. One hundred percent, no room for misunderstanding."

"I literally told him that I was in love with him. Obviously, he doesn't like me back. He was probably playing dumb so he wouldn't have to turn me down."

Alya plopped into the chair across from her, scowling at the table.

"I don't understand how dumb someone can be. I mean, you practically spelled it out for him and it just went over his head! I thought he was a straight A student!"

The librarian wasted no time in storming to their table, pointing at the door. Marinette sighed, quickly gathering her books. She should have known Alya would get them kicked out. Now they'd have to find somewhere else for study hall.

"I mean honestly." Alya continued as they exited the library, and Marinette closed her eyes.

"Wait a second. Why aren't you crying?"

Alya stopped, pulling Marinette by her sleeve to stop her as well. The sundress slid off of her shoulder slightly, and she paled when Alya's eyes widened.

"Oh my god Marinette." She breathed, yanking her into an empty classroom.

She pulled the sleeve back more, her jaw open in horror.

"What happened?"

"Nothing, Alya I'm fine. Okay? Pinkie promise?" She pleaded, and Alya fixed the sleeve, moving around to look at her with worried eyes.

"Did someone do that to you?"

"What? Jesus, no.  It uh... it happened during that acuma attack."

Alya's expression dead panned, and she crossed her arms over her chest.

"That's bull Marinette. Ladybug's lucky charm fixes everything, even injuries. How did this happen? Is someone hitting you?"

Shit. If she told her the lucky charm didn't work, she might put it on the blog, making the citizens worry over nothing.

"You know how clumsy I am Alya. I just fell."

"Don't lie to me. I'm your friend. Friends are supposed to be honest with each other."

Marinette flinched, taking a small step back. She absolutely hated when Alya called her out on lying.

"What are you two doing in here? I thought we were meeting in the library."

Marinette inhaled sharply, turning to look at Nino, and not far behind him was Adrien. Great.

"Oh, nothing. We got kicked out of the library, so-"

"Absolutely not. That doesn't matter right now. Mar-"

"Alya." She warned, but obviously her friend wasn't willing to listen.

"Someone hurt her." She blurted, and Marinette closed her eyes.

She couldn't believe Alya. She had told her she fell. Marinette was a clutz. Alya should have bought that.

"What do you mean?"

Nino set his bag down on top of a desk, and Adrien leaned on the one next to her. She couldn't even bring herself to look at him.